Utah actually still has a huge opportunity

‪Here’s something consider:‬

‪Utah still actually has a really good chance to get a Top 4 seed in the Pac-12 Tournament despite everything. If Utah were to win out and finish 11-9, that would include a win at Oregon. Well, that would make Oregon at least 11-7.‬ Oregon still has two other games on their schedule outside of the Utah game however: @ Arizona on Saturday and then against Colorado. Their game at Arizona is a likely loss, which would put the Ducks at 11-8 (with a loss vs. Utah considered). However, if they were to then also lose to Colorado (who Oregon plays next Thursday), that would put Oregon at 11-9, which would mean Utah and Oregon would finish TIED in the standings. However, Utah would earn the tiebreaker over the Ducks because we would have swept the season series 2-0. Ergo, Utah can still finish ahead of Oregon in the standings. If UCLA loses vs Wazzu or Arizona, Utah would finish ahead of UCLA as well. Colorado is likely going to finish ahead of Utah if they win at Oregon because they already have 10 wins, making their win @ Oregon their eleventh conference win. They’d have to lose at HOME to Stanford and then lose @ last place Oregon State for Utah to finish tied with them. Not very likely. But Utah still has a realistic chance to get the 4 seed.

Probably not.

1 Like

Actually, yeah they still do. If they win on Thursday against Oregon State, it will come down to the last game of the season. If Colorado wins today, a win at Oregon on Thursday would clinch the 3 seed for the Buffs. If that scenario plays out, Utah would clinch the 4 seed with a victory over Oregon. If Oregon beats Colorado, Utah would clinch the 4 with a win over Oregon coupled with a loss by Colorado to Oregon State.

I never said “absolutely not”, I said “probably not”. I don’t think most of us here think it’s likely but we’re still rooting for them.

1 Like

I hope they make it into the big dance, but for this edition of the Utes it is going to be one helluva climb.

2 Likes

Ok.

It’ll be extremely tough for the Utes to pull off a road win at Oregon… I don’t expect it to happen.

But, it’s not entirely unimaginable and the Ducks haven’t exactly been playing great these last few weeks.

2 Likes

I mean they did lose to that same Cal team Utah beat by 29. They also lost to UCLA, who Utah swept. They also lost to Utah

2 Likes