Ugh. "What does Utah football stand to lose if the 2020 football season is altered or even canceled?"

Well, we don’t have to hear about BYU’s upcoming run to national prominence and possible championship.

I tend to think it will be net-neutral, if we have to skip this year. The big question is do they allow programs to add freshmen? Likewise, will there be a team size adjustment for basketball, for the seniors that come back?

4 Likes

my prediction is that we will have a shortened season, maybe an 8 game season starting end of Sept.

1 Like

will be interesting to see how they thread the needle between conferences with 8 game schedules and those with 9.

1 Like

So it will just be conference play. And that means what for teams like Notre Dame?

1 Like

They get to play byu 6 times, Navy and Army once.

2 Likes

That would be my personal version of hell.

1 Like

Ma-ake - Surely you jest, BYU fans and media are at their best when the games are not actually played.

6 Likes

I disagree. They still think they are the better team even after we beat them.

7 Likes

One of the great principles we are losing sight of is that of the “A game.“ We must remember that there are many occasions when vastly superior BYU teams do not bring their A game against Utah. If they did bring that game, there would never be any contest. Why can’t you all remember that?

4 Likes

And we need to remember that byu-provo would win if only the game were played in November, “when it’s supposed to be played”.

(Ignore that result from 2018)

3 Likes

This thread needs the quote by Tyler Huntley after the game last August:

Reporter: “Was there a lot of talking out there?”

Snoop: “Nah. They realized they actually had to play us”.

7 Likes

Sadly all we’ll hear is “what could’ve been” talk about the magical season of 2020-21 for the next decade.

2 Likes

I’d give it less than 10% chance the entire season is canceled.

2 Likes

This is depressing.

BYU loses a lot more then Utah. They use football to fund their entire department. Hopefully they would finally go away

Well, it’s those damn refs!

2 Likes

If there isn’t a massive change in where things are now regarding COVID 19, its treatment protocols, or a working vaccine, it would be prudent to shut down the season. Operating a viral incubator every Saturday will just end badly for the fans.

All you have to do is look to Italy for the case that justifies shutting down the season. Soccer events spread the disease there faster than any other method of spread that has been studied there.

It will suck for the players and coaches, but when they are seeing the $EC getting buried by the disease (yes actually buried), they will thank leadership for showing prudence and restraint. We survived the Great Depression, and a number of wars. We will be fine.

To East Provo, getting a hall pass from getting curb-stomped (again), will likely be a relief. Since the Federal system already handed them a check bigger than the cost of operating their Athletic Department, I am sure they will be just fine with being idled.

GO UTES!!!

1 Like

If I can whine for a moment, I hope there is a season.

Looks like there are grounds for hope, and maybe even some optimism.

1 Like