Trouble ahead for Sharrieff Shah's wife

Hereā€™s more from the SL Trib.

Jen Shah arrested for wire fraud

My contacts with Sharieff Shah have been really nice and he seemed to be a genuinely good guy. I hope that heā€™s not dragged into this, but itā€™s pretty hard to believe he wouldnā€™t have a clue how his wife was earning money. And, if he knew, heā€™d also know it was illegal given his prior profession was as an attorney.

Not good.

1 Like

Well, this isnā€™t goodā€¦isnā€™t good at all.

I have a ā€œfriendā€ who is a closeted watcher of a few of the Housewives series. SLC being his favorite version of the franchise. This ā€œfriendā€ told me having watched her abhorrent behavior on the show they are not surprised she finds herself in this predicament.

If I may, I am so damn sick of the rampant fraud in Utah. It seems like a new Ponzi scheme is divulged monthly in this state. Especially affinity fraud. I have some family members who lost a lot of money in a Ponzi scheme by Rockwell Debt Free Properties. This Ashby dude at Rockwell would pay to have LDS apostles come speak at his events.

3 Likes

Wut

Strange set of values at times. I donā€™t lock my desk at work (when weā€™re working at the office) as I have no worry that someone will take my snacks. But some of these same people would never take a candy bar from you will pull a neighbor into some MLM plan and take their life savings and think of that as ā€œIā€™m just a smart business personā€

5 Likes

Man itā€™s crazy that this is the second event center fraud case Iā€™ve heard about in the last couple of years. So many fraudsters in this damn state.

1 Like

One of the apostles was on the board of Rockwell. You can use the ā€œway backā€ website to see this. I also personally know the people who attended these business events. I guess my family members could be lying to me. :thinking:

1 Like

Me too. This is also a professional interest as Iā€™ve dealt with being a creditor in a similar sounding case.

I think a general rule of thumb is that if you are doing something illegal or questionably legal. Less attention on you is better than more. The show did her in

Unless you subscribe to the Pippin defense of the closer your to danger the further you are from harm.

I doubt it. Perhaps those family members donā€™t distinguish between an apostle and other church leaders, or perhaps it was someone like Donald Rasband who went from the business world into his calling as an apostle. Even Gary Stevenson distanced himself from IKON Fitness. Anyway, it was probably a misunderstanding and not a lie. Or perhaps thereā€™s an update to the policy and Iā€™m wrong. :expressionless:

This policy was annunciated in 1996ā€¦

The First Presidency announced on 18 January that because of increasing Church growth, General Authorities are being asked to withdraw from positions they may hold on boards of directors of business corporations.

It is anticipated that there will be one exception. With reference to Church-owned corporations, most of these are now subsidiaries of Deseret Management Corporation, which is owned by the Corporation of the President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.ā€ Deseret Management Corporation will continue as a holding company with its board composed of representatives from the ranks of the General Authorities, the First Presidency said.

Slight clarification of previous statement. General Authorities, not Apostles. I thought they were basically the same thing. Does it show I havenā€™t been to church in over a decade?

Rocker, sending you a DM from the website that was scrubbed of the GAā€™s relationship. He was Chairman of the Board it turns out.

1 Like

Apologies in advance for the thread necro, but Shahā€™s wife plead guilty to the federal charges today. She could be looking at some pretty serious prison time.

Shah and others were accused of carrying out a wide-ranging telemarketing scheme that defrauded hundreds of people throughout the U.S., many of whom were over age 55.

She entered into a plea agreement with federal prosecutors in New York that called for a sentence of up to 14 years in prison. The plea agreement also called for Shah to make restitution to victims in an amount of up to $9.5 million. She also agreed to a forfeiture of $6.5 million.

She isā€¦not a good person.

According to prosecutors, Shah intentionally didnā€™t put her name on financial records, instead using relatives; used encrypted apps to communicate with co-conspirators; and directed a co-conspirator to lie in a deposition taken by the Federal Trade Commission to conceal her role in the scheme. Federal prosecutors said in court Monday that victims were prepared to testify in a trial about the misrepresentations made at Shahā€™s direction.

Someone else brought up a good point, one that Iā€™ve been wondering about as well. When your plea deal calls for a decade and a half in prison, $10 million in restitution and another $6.5 mil in civil forfeiture, you know the Feds had her dead to rights on something very, very illegal. If you know youā€™re involved in that sort of thing, why on earth would you agree to spotlight yourself by being on a reality show?

3 Likes

With those kind of penalties, it looks like she may have just cleaned ā€˜Rief out without a divorce. I hope he and the kids are not getting financially done dirty by this.

That plea deal wasnā€™t much of a deal. Guilty as hell gets that deal.

2 Likes