Transfer Portal Thread

Nothing I love more than Nate Oats sticking it to Coach K. Coach K whined about his shot at him:

I think they’ll get a bunch with the new coach.

You have no chance of ever being a pro player. None. Zero. Thus spake the oracle. (I’m telling you this for your own good.)

Pay the players for their likeness and you’ll see the transfers go way down. It’s hard to build a brand if you’re bouncing around from team to team. Take it further and restrict the endorsements to 75% local business 25% unrestricted and you’ll really lock these players into their established market.

l’m not sure what advantages this would give certain teams but it seems like it would prevent a national brand like Nike from spending insane amounts of money to buy players for Oregon or huge market teams like USC or Texas.

75/25 is a guess, you could tweak the ratios as needed to better create an equilibrium. If you got the numbers correct, players could maintain their freedom to switch teams but you would create a financial incentive for them not to. This way the team stability of the old days could be restored without restoring the practice of treating the players like property.

Do transfers this year have to sit out? What about the two we’ve gotten so far?

I like the new transfer rule. Teams can push players out, players are free to move on. Liberty.

Allen for Jenkins is a good trade. Jenkins seems more a twenty-first century type of player.

Embrace change. Make it work for you.

Cal’s Matt Bradley commits to SDSU.

Memphis G Boogie Ellis to USC.

Interesting article regarding Bradley that mentions how he is trying to recruit Timmy Allen to SDSU.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/story/2021-04-12/aztecs-matt-bradley-cal-transfer-san-diego-state?_amp=true&__twitter_impression=true&s=09

Excellent point. I do not want to fall into the “We didn’t want him anyway” way of thinking, but I do wonder what Craig Smith thought when he saw Allen’s shooting motion and his inability to use his left hand.

3 Likes

I always thought Timmy would have been a lot better had he embraced what he does well and stop trying to be something he was not (a shooter, primarily).

3 Likes

Basically a lot less talented version of Adrian Dantley.

1 Like

Allen was first team all-conference (our first since Barefield). Of course we’ll miss him.

Losing any of Allen, Plummer, and Jantunen is a bigger loss than any of the transfers that happened during Larry’s tenure.

2 Likes

I can’t blame Timmy for wanted to play for a tournament team --not be part of a rebuild. And the same for Plummer although he might as well start earning money overseas. Martinez family kept their part of the bargain–when Utah didn’t they leave. So good for all 3–wish them well.

Seeing how much the transfer portal is now in play it makes even more sense to move on from Larry K & his staff. There just was no recruiter on that staff & someone who relates to the current college player. Larry K is a grind it out/stick around & wait your turn coach–that will no longer work.

Good luck to Craig Smith–hope he can find another young, recruiting type with good west coast ties.

5 Likes

Roger that. :wink:

What’s your point? You have no basis for believing he’d have done anything different had LK stayed. Given what’s happening all over, the rumors and the trend in the program, the probabilities are he would have transferred.

But you can’t base a ten-year plan on the whimsey of a 20 year old, especially one who isn’t Van Horn or Miller good.

They play different positions. The trade is Jenkins for Plummer. Still a good trade.

2 Likes

Allen went to Texas.

FWIW…I like this video of Jenkins.

3 Likes

the best thing about Allen was his consistency. And his ability to get his own rebounds and stick it back in.

Unfortunately, his consistency was limited to being under the basket. He was a liability from the outside.

1 Like

true, outside shooting wasn’t his game

but for his size 6’ 6’’ he played bigger than he was. That wont be easily to replace.