Timmy Allen “not a mortal lock” to return to Utah

That’s what Josh Newman said on the Bill Riley show yesterday. No one believes that Timmy will go to the NBA, but apparently there is some doubt as to whether he will return at all. Ugh.

Is this the new normal for college basketball, or is it a Utah/LK thing?

If Allen leaves, I’m done with K.

1 Like

Why would Allen leave? So ridiculous if he leaves for another college team. He’s the centerpiece of our team, he gets every opportunity to shine for us. If he leaves to get to the tournament easier that is a bad career move. I can’t see him leaving for extra pt since he already plays most of every game.

Did Krystkowiak piss off some NBA scouts to the point that they are telling Utah players to transfer?? So strange.

It would be one thing if all these kids who leave move up in the world upon transferring, but the majority of them fail miserably after transferring.

4 Likes

Donnie Tillman will finish his career in the WAC. Anyone seen what teams are in that league now?

2 Likes

So far, Mawien is at the top of the list for most successful post-transfer career of all of Larry’s transfers. Daniels is probably #2? So, yeah, this isn’t really working out for the transfers.

4 Likes

JoJo Zamora had a decent showing at NM State. Made an appearance in the Big Dance here at the Jazz Arena in Salt Lake…

1 Like

Chris Poopola has now transferred to the Academy of Arts, if anyone is interested in his trajectory. He was at SLCC

One of the issue I see with Larry’s recruiting is he lands lots of kids with zero connections to Utah (Gach/Allen come to mind) and struggles landing some of those that might have stayed locally (Mannion/Childs)

1 Like

I’m to the point where it looks like an LK thing. I’d like to see improvement and MUCH lower turnover, but the lowest common denominator is LK. His program, his results, his responsibility.

1 Like

Or is it Josh pulling stuff out of his ass again? He has been a really terrible beat writer. Kinahack/ Monson level garbage!

1 Like

If I didn’t have a shot at the Dance I would transfer too.

I hadn’t noticed that. He’s that bad? If so, what a shame.

He is not pulling it out of his rear end. Rumors have been circulating about Allen leaving since last winter. I don’t know why; the offense runs through him; he is not going to be featured anywhere else unless he transfers down. He is undersized at the 4 and doesn’t shoot well enough to play the 3 (and may not be quick enough).

3 Likes

I hadn’t noticed that either; of course, since he arrived, there has been very little in sports to write about, so I have to admit that I haven’t read his stuff regularly. Is he really as bad as PK/Monson?

It’s a shame the Trib lost Kamrani, he’s (a bit new age, but) an excellent sports writer. I have not subscribed to the Athletic, but if we ever have any sports to read about again, I probably will.

1 Like

I think he had some growing pains to start but that the last few months he has been good.

2 Likes

Yikes…

First of all, Newman got off to a rocky start, that is for sure. Between his agreeing with Finebaum on utah football to his “I wasn’t soliciting opinions” thing on twitter, it was bad. I think he realized pretty quickly that the new york style isnt going to work in slc and he changed it up. Since then, he has been on fire. Hes cranked out more interesting ute content than the entire 3 man crew at the d news.

Second, it really boils down to this…if Timmy leaves, Larry is looking at a fairwell tour in 2020-2021. I dont know of a single serious fan who would disagree. His only hope would be guys just making other worldly level jumps and making the big dance. If Timmy stays, i think theres a good chance we go to the big dance. i think there are rational people who disagree with me, but its where i see things.

For what its worth, the guy that is putting timmy through individual workouts right now posts videos 3-4 times a week and Timmy is wearing his utes gear in the overwhelming majority of them. Thats pretty far from a slam dunk that hes coming back, but it could be much worse.

3 Likes

This would be the first transfer that I’d actually be concerned about and would raise an eyebrow. But I have no idea on how much of a real threat it is of occurring.

We will see.

1 Like

I was not aware that he agreed with Finebaum, and I do not follow anything on twitter, but both perhaps help explain why he has some very negative reviews.

My take is that he would leave becuase he wants to learn how to play good basketball, or he wants to get to the NCAA tournament. Those things are very unlikely under LK.

3 Likes

1 Like

1 Like