Thoughts on how BYU and Utah can keep Utah State on their schedule by working together

In a perfect world BYU and Utah would trade-off playing Utah State each year. If the AD’s from each school would work together it would be nice for Utah State to play one of each school each year. I look at the schedule below as a way to keep Utah State on the schedule while also allowing the fans for each School, BYU and Utah, who live in the northern part of the state easy access to a “home game” at maverick stadium.

Year 1: @USU… BYU
Year 2: @Utah
Bye year
Year 3: @USU… Utah
Year 4: @BYU
Bye year
Year 5: @USU… BYU
Year 6: @Utah
Bye year
Year 7: @USU… utah
Year 8: @BYU

Something like this. Make it the first game of the season. Thoughts? Suggestions?

I’m really thinking that maybe it would be good for BYU and Utah to be good neighbors to Utah State moving forward.

In a perfect world BYU and Utah would trade-off playing Utah State each year.

Why is this equated to a ‘perfect’ world? In my world view, we rarely ever play BYU, we play whomever we want in the precious 3 pre season games and we also spread valuable monies generated to other worthy in-state programs - who probably need it more.
The world is not perfect and it isn’t centered on BYU.

11 Likes

Ok. Feel free to ignore the words “in a perfect world” and maybe focus on being a good neighbor. That was my intent. Maverick Stadium is a good Stadium to visit and see your team play and playing in Logan also gives fans for your school and my school who live in the northern part of Utah more access to the team.

My post had nothing to do with being focused on BYU but on the contrary it was intended to see what you think about Utah and BYU working together to be good neighbors to our friends up north.

…fences make good neighbors…
- Robert Frost

Good neighbors don’t impose themselves upon others i.e. state legislation and audits to enforce said neighborly decorum.

11 Likes

If you look at the way I laid it out, utah would only play Utah state two out of every 5 years. Let’s put the focus on Utah State and if it’s possible for Utah and BYU to work together in this thread.

I wish for our coaches to play whomever they want without pressure or repercussions.
Not to be treated as if some obligatory ongoing game is some entitled mandate from an imposing power relationship.

7 Likes

So I’ll start this over again for anybody else who might want to have a more constructive conversation.

no thanks. I like playing BYU every year (and beating them 9 out of 10). USU can be an every other year thing, or something.

1 Like

I was thinking about something like this just before you posted it and I agree with that 100% moving forward. While some of you may not see the benefit of in-state games I personally disagree. I like to see the in-state games but I also see that moving forward things are going to be a little bit more difficult. You Utah fans have made it very clear that scheduling is more difficult when you’re in a conference and I agree

Given the Alliance of Conferences requirements that are starting to show some initial form, if adopted, Utah will really only get to have USU on their schedule maybe once every 5 years. If the BIG 12 signs a deal similar to the deal the ACC and SEC signed, BYU and Utah may get back on track as an every year event; but given the desires of the B1G and PAC 12 to develop such an agreement already in discussions, it is going to take some heavy lifting by the BIG 12 to work with the PAC 12 to cobble something together.

Something tells me an agreement that solidifies an annual Colorad9-Nebraska game and some staggered games with the rest of the B1G is more likely. If the Rose Bowl TV numbers have any value, America will watch these games, and will give the PAC 12 more OOC prime time opportunities. Not saying it’s about the money and the eyeballs watching, but…

3 Likes

I really don’t care if we play the West Orem Parochial School any longer. And if USU makes it on the schedule once every 5 years or so, fine. This year proved that playing down south is completely meaningless to the success of the season. No one cares other than the little brother fan base who gets to thump their chest and shout Scoreboard. Yawn! Utah has bigger fish to fry and the school down there is going to a new conference. It might just be better for them to develop some new rivals, assuming they can beat anyone there that is. Best of luck! Here’s hoping Utah can get back to the Rose Bowl or better yet the CFP!

4 Likes

I think some of you guys are actually under estimating the idea that Utah state is a quasi home game. I don’t say that as an insult to Utah State as much as I’m saying it as an opportunity for fans to see their team up close and personal. It’s also fairly close and easier on the football teams.

Maybe this would work better.

Utah:
Year 1: Bye
Year 2: @BYU
Year 3: vsUSU
Year 4: Bye
Year 5: vsBYU
Year 6: @USU

Utah State:
Year 1: vsBYU
Year 2: bye
Year 3: @Utah
Year 5: Bye
Year 6: vsUtah

BYU:
Year 1: @USU
Year 2: vsUtah
Year 3: Bye
Year 4: vsUSU
Year 5: @Utah
Year 6: Bye

Just 4 days out from a remarkable and historic season with a crushing loss, personnel injuries and coaching/player changes, but we need to talk about “working with BYU to help USU…?”
We aren’t playing BYU for two years. I look forward to the lack of conversation about BYU.
I’m gonna drink a Metamucil and try to get out of my cranky mood.

4 Likes

Gotcha. I was just trying to start up a topic of conversation that we might all be able to get behind. Good night.

Utah has made it pretty clear, they are willing to play USU but not in Logan. There is no benefit for Utah in that road trip. Utah is not in the position anymore to do home and home with USU, they have much better home and home opportunities lined up. Call it big timing if you want, but it won’t change facts.

Do you have some thought about why your proposal holds any practical value for Utah?
Because I can’t think of any, especially not your estimation that it’s a “quazi home game”, it’s not.

There’s no recruiting interests, no exposure, no national interest or reputation to gain, no significant emotion or excitement remains in the series, there’s just nothing special about it anymore, it’s boring. I still scratch my head about the upcoming Wyoming road trip, but even that makes more sense than a trip to Logan. At least Laramie gives the team some early season experience in a true road game, they can use it to prepare for more difficult road challenges in the PAC12 schedule.

4 Likes

In a more recent post I redid the proposed schedule to look like this:

The way this breaks down you’re only playing a road game twice every 6 years and only once in Logan every 6 years. So in a six-year span you’re only using up four games in your out of conference schedule. How does this benefit Utah you ask? I’ve said it at least once before in this thread but having a game in Logan can be considered in a way a quasi home game for your fans in the northern part of the state.

Utah:
Year 1: Bye
Year 2: @BYU
Year 3: vsUSU
Year 4: Bye
Year 5: vsBYU
Year 6: @USU

Utah State:
Year 1: vsBYU
Year 2: bye
Year 3: @Utah
Year 5: Bye
Year 6: vsUtah

BYU:
Year 1: @USU
Year 2: vsUtah
Year 3: Bye
Year 4: vsUSU
Year 5: @Utah
Year 6: Bye

This isn’t as valuable as you’re making it out to be. If Utah didn’t have way more valuable opportunities they could squeeze a little value out of a road trip to Logan, but they do have way better opportunities so it’s foolish to push this. Scheduling a trip to Logan is a sacrifice for Utah, it makes no practical sense.

Once every 15-20 years just for the hell of it, that’s the only time Utah should travel to USU.

Big time…

1 Like

From an historical perspective, I love the idea of playing Utah State much more often than we have in the last many years - they were our rival for decades prior to the Edwards era at BYU. From a personal perspective, I have been to many games in Logan, and enjoyed every one. It’s a beautiful location, a convenient drive, and a fan base that is once again regaining some hope for the future - Go Aggies! (except when you’re playing the Utes).

From an historical and regional perspective, I would like to keep playing BYU. I’m less interested in maintaining this relationship as I personally think the rivalry has become so toxic that it is not only counter productive, but provides a significant negative to each of these communities. I’m sure my opinion is in the minority on this board, but I’d be happy if we had a decade apart from The Y. Assuming that we cannot rid ourselves of the horde from the south, I’ll propose a future that includes BYU.

We have 3 non-conference games every year, and spend, to my way of thinking, too many of those games invested in local programs. (There are probably financial and governmental considerations/pressures of which I am not aware or considering, but I cannot consider what I do not know.)

If I controlled Utah football scheduling, I would schedule non-conference games in the following manner going forward:

1. one non-conference game, against a lower division team, i.e. Weber State, Idaho State, etc.
  2. one, historical in-state rivalry game, either BYU/Utah St. with the following conditions:
    a. we play BYU home/away alternating, or 2 home for 1 away, if we can negotiate it,
    b. we play USU 2 home/1 away - order of appearances, at Utah’s discretion,
  3. a significant nationally recognized P5 team to test our abilities,

If Utah’s program continues on it’s current trajectory, this would seem reasonable from our perspective, Utah State’s, and possibly BYU’s - who knows what would seem reasonable from the perspective of the Team Down South. They will be going into a former, but diminished P5 conference soon, and may think that affords them some equality with Utah. Perhaps another 9 out of 10 losing record head to head will squash that misconception. Probably not.

2 Likes

What a solid post… right up until the last paragraph. Lol. I think a 3-year rotational schedule with two of those years playing one of the in-state games and the third year as a bye would work perfect with what you were just talking about. I also agree with some of you that we want to play Big Time games in Big Time venues but I think there comes a point where you need to look at your community as a whole. I just honestly think the in-state games are good for the state.

Historically speaking there have been periods of time where Utah state has done really well and the other two schools struggled a bit. We can say the same for all three schools. But I also realized it right now all three schools are doing really well. We need to play the games but we also need to minimize then a little bit for our own individual conference schedules.