This year's Runnin' Utes vs. the team they were last year

TV?

Hell, I’m glad I have an indoor job!

(For that matter, I’m glad my bathroom at home doesn’t have emergency exit plugs!)

2 Likes

I have to say, I’ve just loved watching this team (for the most part). When you think about it, in both the ASU and AZ games we played them close before dumb mistakes and a genuine lack of depth caught up with us. We are probably a player or two away from being a great team IMO. Next year scares me because of the loss of Carlson. I’m also afraid of Keita getting poached by a bigger school. Overall, I’m impressed with Smith and generally feel we have a lot to look forward to. That being said, there’s a lot of basketball left this season and a lot of winnable games. It should be interesting…

2 Likes

Well put. It’s been a long drought. We had some good years with LK, and Bogut carried us one year.

I’m not going to let the expectations monster ruin my watching the Utes. Take a baseball fan’s approach, let’s see if we can finish in the top half and get into some post season play.

4 Likes

Of the players listed as seniors, who can come back next year? I was under the impression that all six were out of eligibility after this season but apparently a few can come back? IDK.
If all six seniors are done then next year could be pretty bad.

1 Like

My understanding is the two that are absolutely done after this year are BC and Bajema.

The other seniors have the option to come back because of the Covid year.

There’s always the Portal to contend with, but that could be a decent nucleus to build from.

3 Likes

He can’t get NIL due to visa regs, right? Im not too worried. He could become a feature player as he learns and is more judicious with his fouls.

I haven’t seen that stated definitively anywhere about Keita, but it is often the case with student visas. Many factors can come into play, and immigration is seriously one of the most complicated topics on the planet.

Little talk about it but UCLA is visiting (very probably their last trip to the Hunty for a long time). Us old timers grew up loathing the Bruins. Hope to see a rowdy crowed up there tonight to help our team turning things around.

4 Likes

Just not sure which Utah team is going to show up tonight. Certainly hopeful we can take it to the Bruins.

3 Likes

It will be interesting to see how Lazar handles coming back to the Hunty for a game, with his 36 minutes of PT a game and very little production to show for it. It would be ironic if he went off on Utah tonight and scored 20 to 30 points when he averages 9 points a game on 33% shooting (29% from three land).

2 Likes

I’d bet on the Utes tonight.

1 Like

Should be a relatively safe bet.

1 Like

I didn’t make a bet. Was the spread -50 for Utah?

5 Likes

Utah covered the spread by like 40 points. They didn’t get the over though because of how little points UCLA scored though lol

3 Likes

The Utes are now 23 in KenPom and 22 Net, with an opportunity for another (borderline) quality win this weekend vs. Stanford.

3 Likes

The Utes currently sit squarely as an upper-seed tourney team in virtually every measure out there. This upcoming swing (UW-Wazzu road, CU at home) can really help solidify that.

4 Likes

Hope the team that has been winning at home can show up on the road for t(e rest of the season. If they do, we could be looking at a trip to the big dance ready to make a run at things.

3 Likes

And a win over Arizona…

Yeah, it was so, so nice to finally beat Oregon. But this team won’t get back to the NCAA Tournament without winning some road games.

2 Likes

The Utes need to win some road games for a lot of reasons. But any even casual observer of college basketball can see that even the top-ranked teams are losing road games throughout the scoreboard on any given night. College basketball is brutally competitive, with much more parity and home court asymmetry than college football.

Moderators should change the title of this thread because it’s embarrassingly ignorant–this is the kind of thing you see on facebook and we need not tolerate these infantile exclamations.

2 Likes