This didn’t age well:

The offer wasn’t disingenuous. UW was very clear. BYU could come to UW to play football. They had to pass all the testing protocols (which they wouldn’t) and if Utah became available, UW would bump BYU for Utah.

BYU, like Wilner stated, was unwilling to meet those terms. There is no mystery here. The P12 made it very clear what would need to happen for the P12 teams to play an OOC game. There was no deceit or mission to hurt BYU. There was a chance UW would need a game this weekend. They reached out to BYU to potentially fill that game and BYU said no.

It made BYU look bad, so BYU tried to spin it as “it’s not our fault”.

It’s like Jon Wilner said: “that refusal to compromise is at the core of [BYU’s] ethos and why no Power Five wants [them]. But we’ll continue to play the victim card and just hope nobody notices.”

4 Likes

One of the most humbling experiences I had leaving the culture I grew up in was realizing how little everyone outside of the culture cares about that culture. People have their own crap to deal with and aren’t worried about my issues.

2 Likes

Dick Harmon reveals BYU would have had higher testing costs to comply with PAC standards:

BYU football: Further proof Tom Holmoe was right to say no to Huskies - Deseret News

Not the best look… beyond the chorus of whining and persecution.

I am so impressed with BYU fan. That culture has the ability to proclaim one reality…and when it comes out that the proclamated reality isn’t real…they are able to completely do a 180, rework the entire situation and redefine what reality is, even if it contradicts the original stance…and their fans go along with it 100%.

It’s impressive.

2 Likes

Good old Dick, crying victim again.

His points:

• You have to cancel plans. I’d bet every single player would LOVE to cancel plans to play a P5 school.

• BYU would have to spend money. Again, who cares? They have money to spend. And as others have mentioned, a win would generate so much more money in bowl games, stuff sold, games picked up by ESPN, etc.

• BYU wouldn’t get paid. Guess what, no one cares. Utah gave up money to join the P12. Welcome to reality where you have no leverage and you are trying to “break in”.

• BYU would have to rush to scout UW. Kind of like how Utah is doing now? Cry me a ■■■■■■■ river.

• And then thousands of words of how BYU is hated by everyone and everyone is out to get them.

Awesome. What a crazy world we live in.

1 Like

Crazy world? I’d say that’s the average day for a BYU fan. Playing the victim and proclaiming moral victory is what they do.

1 Like

[quote=“RockerUte, post:44, topic:4610”]I’m sorry, but whoever did the risk assessment on this one failed in a massive way. Cougs will try to spin it however they want, but it was either cowardice or incompetence on BYUs part, and nothing else.
[/quote]

I don’t know when the official offer came in, but with it being Thanksgiving and a good chance the game would be called off at the last minute (which we now know it would have), I don’t blame BYU for not accepting the game. Did they bumble the response? 100%, but I don’t blame them for saying no under those circumstances.

I find the whole thing to be amusing.

• the empty bravado by Wilson

• the defensiveness of Dick Harmon

• the Cougs getting the #14 ranking because they haven’t played anyone of any consequence, and all the upheaval in Cougar Nation about the disrespect… going all the way back to 1984.

• and then we get the game all of this was about

In 2020, I give thanks to the whole of Cougar Nation for this set of giggles. This will go down as part of their weird history of persecution, the “Hawaiian Death Turf” of 2020.

8 Likes

Remember when the cougs put out a big stink about not being included in New Year’s Day Bowl game discussions in 2001 before finishing the season and got absolutely destroyed by Hawaii?? They gave up 70 points against Hawaii…you’d think they’d never do this again, yet here we are.

2 Likes

The zoobs are always in a quandary. They want to play in a New Years Day bowl but they want to play East Carolina or someone similar.

1 Like

They usually deliver a good laugh at least once per season.

1 Like

East Provo is a legend in their own minds.

If I actually believed there should be a CFP/NY6/Bowls this season, I would agree with their ranking - even playing the directional schools. As I don’t believe any of that should happen, rankings don’t matter.

If the NCAA had a hair on their ass they would shut down this talk of a championship and tell these schools to simply be happy they got to play at all. Lord knows the Ivy League Legal Mafia is waiting in the wings to file the class action suits on the P5 and G5 conferences that sanctioned playing these seasons. If the NCAA itself want to get enjoined, keep this championship delusion going.

To TDS, you bunch of non-testing, festering Petrie Dishes, be happy you got to play anyone this season. Yes the pandemic will end; but given your non-protocols regarding health and safety, going forward other universities may want to rethink ever playing you fools. After what happened in Boise, I am sure they are thinking about it.

Honestly, we need to drop these fools from our schedule permanently.

5 Likes

It’s going to be hilarious when they are left out of a bowl game and the season ends. And then because most bowls don’t happen, we end up playing them end of December instead of a bowl game in SLC and we beat them and they finish with one loss and not ranked and we finish ranked. lol.

1 Like

We call that Holmingers Football Schedule.

5 Likes

Bravo. That got a literal LOL from me.

2 Likes

Fact check… BYU does not have this kind of money. Further more, the BYU AD is financially self sustaining. They get no funds from the school or the LDS church.

1 Like

The LDS Church highly subsidizes the operation of BYU as a whole so while it may be technically true that there might not be direct funds into the athletic department there is a massive indirect subsidy.

7 Likes

$0 goes to the athletic department. The LDS church as a private organization can do what they want with their money and if they choose to subsidize tuition that is their prerogative.

Also, the original post talked about the school not the LDS Church.

Should we now go down the rabbit hole of how my tax dollars are subsidizing Utah Athletics. That conversation, along with the conversation of your tithing dollars being used to subsidize BYU Athletics, is a futile effort.

Well, Utah is a public institution, and as such, gets tax dollars. You can complain about that if you want to, but then you are opening up all sorts of “rabbit holes” about what tax dollars are used for (and also, organizations that are tax exempt).

3 Likes

Utah tax dollars being used to subsidize and help the average student at the University of Utah is a good thing and I am not complaining about that. Tithing being used to help the average BYU student is a good thing and nobody should be complaining about that. Both subsidies benefit their respective athletic departments equally.

We are not going to change it to others opinions today. I have said what I’m going to say and I’ve heard what you had to say. As far as I’m concerned this topic is closed.