This didn’t age well:

Who said the Big 12 invited BYU?

One thing is should BYU complete running the table by beating San Diego State from the mighty MWC and finish with ZERO P5 wins, if they get a NY6 bowl and miss out on the playoffs, I don’t want to hear any whining and moaning from Zoobs about not getting a playoff spot.

1 Like

Playing and beating UW isn’t getting BYU a spot in the playoffs.

Honestly - I’m not sure there’s anything BYU could do to get a shot in the playoffs. As Utah fans, ya’ll have seen first hand how the P5 conferences take care of themselves first. I don’t think going undefeated with BYU’s original schedule would even get them into the playoffs.

But I agree that BYU is playing a bit of a game of chicken here as it relates to a NY6 game. I don’t think they’re “afraid” of UW. But I don’t blame them for not wanting to schedule a game they believe is likely to be cancelled. I guess we’ll see what else happens. This year - nothing would surprise me.

Since we’re talking BYU to NY6, here’s my afternoon Sagarin study: every G5 in a BCS/NY6 game, their SOS, and the outcome:

2004 Utah, SOS 67 (W)
2006 Boise, SOS 90 (W)
2007 Hawaii, SOS 132 (L)
2008 Utah, SOS 56 (W)
2009 TCU, SOS 60 (L)
2009 Boise, SOS 96 (W)
2010 TCU, SOS 76 (W)
2012 NIU, SOS 121 (L)
2014 Boise, SOS 74 (W)
2015 Houston, SOS 90 (W)
2016 Western Michigan, SOS 112 (L)
2017 UCF, SOS 72 (W)
2018 UCF, SOS 83 (L)
2019 Memphis, SOS 63 (L)

The SOS of this year’s contenders: Cincy (91), Coastal Carolina (111), BYU (112), and Marshall (130).

The G5 in general have done really well in these games, but the G5’s with triple digit SOS have been wrecked.

Price of being independent. Notre Dame at least has the ACC to have their back as they are a member in other sports (FB also just in 2020) but BYU pretty much has no one to give them a push in a spectacular year. Not like the West Coast Conference has any say in the matter.

I agree - but honestly, most years it wouldn’t matter. This is a once in a generational pandemic event. I don’t know that BYU has to make conference affiliation decisions based on something that will happen every 100 years or so. Also - I’ve been happy that BYU has gotten to play games and a lot of them, compared to many teams.

With the schedule BYU had this year, they would’ve been just fine if they run the table as far as a NY6 is concerned. As I’ve said - I don’t know that there’s anything BYU could do to get into the playoffs. Honestly - it would take one of those runs of a great schedule with a couple of years of being undefeated. And it would likely require some losses by other teams as well.

For the record - I’d be OK with BYU joining a G5 conference, some have said they should try to return to the MWC while others have said they should try to join the AAC. At the same time, I can’t say either of those move the needle for me and I don’t mind remaining independent. BYU has had some good schedules and fun games and I’ve been able to see all but one or two these last few years. Frankly, I haven’t missed not being involved with the crappy MWC TV deal - and that’s even acknowledging that BYU would probably get better coverage and better exposure than many of the MWC teams.

It will be interesting to see how this goes and whether or not BYU gets a shot at a NY6. BYU’s schedule has not been awesome, so they could be in trouble running up against a good team and facing some adversity for the first time. At the same time - I think this is a really good team with some really experienced lines. So I like to think they could handle teams that are better than what they’ve seen so far. I’d love to get the shot. But I’ve also seen BYU melt under pressure enough times to know nothing is guaranteed.

So - Utah’s game against ASU is out. Has the PAC12 announced that Utah will be playing UW yet?. And BYU was probably smart not to commit any resources to getting their equipment or team up to Seattle this weekend after all - since it just would’ve been cancelled anyway…just like we all knew was going to happen.

Good luck against Washington - they look pretty beatable.

You continue to read this wrong, friend. Had BYU just committed to the UW game, they would have looked confident and strong, and they wouldn’t have even had to play the game in the end. Instead, BYU comes away looking unsure of themselves. I suspect that the initial CFP ranking was influenced by BYU shying away from playing a P5 game.

BYU fans seem to be trying to convince themselves that BYU didn’t mismanage this. I don’t know why they do it, but they always defend Tom Holmoe.

4 Likes

I can see agreeing to the game, and if Holmoe’s place I might’ve even done that.

I can also see - for reasons that are obvious to everyone who doesn’t hate BYU - that the offer was disingenuous and any possibility of the game taking place was screwed by the PAC12 conference offices from the beginning. Scramble to make plans to get to Seattle for a big “maybe” while knowing that ASU is a mess and there’s a 95% chance Utah/ASU is going to be cancelled and Washington will be playing Utah? Yeah - I don’t blame Holmoe for not taking that deal.

Oh, woe is you! Every member of the national media thinks BYU made a mistake here. This is not about rivalry bias. Of course, rivalry bias allows me to enjoy it.

2 Likes

To everyone except Tom Holmoe and Kalani Sitake, I guess.

5 Likes

Best use ever of that gif imho.

2 Likes

One more thought tonight: somehow this will all end in Utah playing BYU this season. It always does. The universe wills it.

1 Like

I sincerely hope not :frowning:

no, No, NO - a thousand times NO!

I don’t ever want to play them again, and in a year when we DON"T have to contend with the legislature penalizing us for not playing them, please do NOT schedule this!

3 Likes

Looks like we’ll get a few more games to get our issues worked out.

If the powers that be decide we should play the Y, so be it.

If it has to be us that proves the CFP poll, we’ll do the job.

The best result would be skipping playing them. Let the drama build for next September

2 Likes

You can’t have the face of the program advertising ANY TEAM, ANY TIME, ANY PLACE and then turn tail at the first sign of a challenge. The optics alone are horrible.

4 Likes

At the end of all my posts, your post is a much better and more concise summary.

Cool story. Who’s Floyd Christmas?

2 Likes

It could be Lloyd’s smarter brother, but who knows with this guy.

1 Like