This cracks me up

May be an image of text that says 'BYU HONOR CODE Dress & Grooming Standards Clothing is inappropriate when it is sleeveless, revealing, or form fitting. Hairstyles should be clean and neat and trimmed above the collar, leaving the ear uncovered. Sideburns should not extend below the earlobe or onto the cheek. Men are expected to be clean-shaven; beards are not acceptable. Earrings and other body piercing are not acceptable. Shoes should be worn in all public campus areas. THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER DAY SAINTS WHEN THE GUY ON YOUR LOGO VIOLATES YOUR WHOLE DRESS CODE!'

But isn’t it supposed to be “his” university? Something tells me the namesake of the school, as well as a number of others with buildings named after them would violate such a sacred code, too.

Somewhere Groucho Marx is having a field day with this. :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

8 Likes

No doubt that joke of a dress code was written to fend off the dangers of hippies infiltrating their sacred grounds. Flower power!

10 Likes

Took me a minute to get the piercings part of the joke.

10 Likes

That’s funny my great uncle Archeologist professor at byu. Was one of the Archeologists hired by the Marriott family and approved by the church. To go to South America and prove that the book of mormon was true. The Marriott family thought it would be neat to do a display in the newly constructed Marriott library. But alas they could not prove it was true. The LDS profit is claiming on a talk that their book is not historical. He appologized to Latinos (my fiancee) and the native americans calling them laminates. It was an ex mormon bishop world renowned genetics research expert that found the DNA of the people in the rain forest of Brazil and Peru who had no contact with the out side were from Mongolia. My fiancee 9 generation Peruvian is Japanese.

3 Likes

While it is very hard to pin down exactly, due to my never even meeting my Maternal Grandfather and asking about his lineage, there was plenty of reason to believe the rumors of Cherokee blood back in colonial days, given the Greers settling in in the early 1700s in that triad point where SC, NC, and Ga meet… There’s even a city named Greer ( mother’s family name). My genetic assay showed a 0.97 % trace of the Mongolia/NE Asia phenotype associated with all indigenous peoples of the Americas. Bering Land Bridge, yo. It’s small but it is there… and given everything else is form British Isles (80%+) and France/Germany (15%+), and the rest Scandinavia (mainly full Swede Great Grandmother), there’s no reason to think I inherited that any other way.

3 Likes

We’re on the verge of wandering into the Religion category here, guys.

3 Likes

Hmm. Interesting, I have family from the same general area at the same general time. I now spend a week or so in Western S. Carolina, and W NC thanks to cycling. My lineage from there comes from my maternal grandfather as well. (just a series of coincidences here, IMO). There has been talk of my family having Native American blood in the line some where. Even with folks doing genealogy back as far as records can take us , it has never been proven. So it remains just talk and speculation. As far as I know none of us have taken a blood test to show heritage.

You just sparked a memory of a family legend.

Talking genealogy and Native American lineage in a Zoob thread isn’t much of a detour. The lines there are blurry at best - especially when one considers the “Native American” tuition discount they offer based on genealogy.

For the record none of those guys are getting in based on the grooming honor code, either. :wink:

3 Likes

Ive been trying to help people understand what they see revealed in these genetic assays, versus the potential for certain DNA factors. None of us is a complete sum of DNA of every single forebear. Just like recessive/dominant factors being caused by a random shuffle of the RNA/DNA elaborate dance, so too is it random if very tiny elements in your DNA chain actually manifest on your personal assay. My one full sibling, older sister’s assay doesnt show the Asian DNA, but it does show more of the deduced Norman French tracings (our current surname is a shortening of what was originally a longer, minor nobility title int he first century after the Norman conquest [De Puttenham - a minor fief straddling the border between Buckingham and Hertsford]. People who had “de” in front of the family were almost assuredly of the Norman stock that built up on the bones of the Saxon Kingdom. So it doesnt come as much of a suprise to me that she shows a bit more of the French/NW europe (as opposed to actual British Isles) info than I do. We are both overwhelmingly English though, with a very strong Sweden element from our Great Grandmother.

…and based on TDS’s honor code, none of them are getting in either. :wink:

2 Likes