The zoobs are considering a Rose Bowl invite?

Yikes, indeed. There was once a site for Ute fans located on Sports Illustrated’s answer to SBNation, FanSided, called Hoyo’s Revenge. Hasn’t been active for over 5 years.

Hmmm note a good look. Assuming the hanging tongue is a dog whistle for drunk’n indian?

yeah it is, man even for the era that’s in poor taste.

1 Like

You guys are awesomely hilarious. Love the old mascot pictures. It is crazy how mascots have evolved over time - not just the costume but the expectations. Mascots used to just stand around. I think the San Diego Chicken was one of the first to do more interacting with the crowd. I saw a show a while back talking about the Jazz Bear and some of the stunts he’s done from the beginning - they were looking at the various NBA mascots and Bear was listed as one of the top for entertainment value.

I’m not certain what year this was, but my earliest recollection of a mascot for Utah was a Native American in what was then my idea of traditional Indian Warrior attire, (my idea coming from early sixties western motion pictures), who rode out onto the field on horseback. I was young, and don’t even recall what year I might heave first seen this, but sometime in the 60’s. I am sure we were still called the Redskins then.

Whenever the photo above was taken, it had to have been before my time, and my guess is that it was a knucklehead student’s idea and execution.

In any case, I’m pleased we have the Ute name now, our current relationship with the Utes, and none of this sort of disrespect.

Long after they changed from Redskins to Utes (perhaps in mid-80s well before they introduced Swoop) they had a year or two with a warrior on horseback who before the game would throw a spear into a bale of hay (declaring battle). One time the team ran out of the tunnel and it scared the poor horse who took off on a full gallop in the other direction.

Thankfully that ‘tradition’ was retired.

1 Like

Pretty sure it will be Utah in the Rose Bowl.
If Oregon wins out, and Utah wins 3/4 or Utah wins 2/4 and ASU loses one more game. . . Utah goes to the Rose bowl
If Utah wins the Pac-12 championship game - They go to the Rose Bowl.

Utah will NOT go to the Rose bowl if
Oregon loses another game then wins the CCG (possible)
Utah does not win the Pac-12 south (Very unlikely at this point)

See the thread on PAC12 bowls. Another scenario exists where Utah loses to Oregon twice and is 8-5 and the Rose could take another PAC12 team (some rules around conference records, etc.) like whichever is 2nd in the North or South. Also, if someone else wins the North and wins the CCG, then that also puts that team in the Rose.

I say 60% chance of Rose, 25% Alamo, and 15% other (Vegas, Holiday). Those numbers should tighten up as games are played

I remember the night “Swoop” was first introduced to the Huntsman Center crowd. He used a boogie board to slide down the stairs onto the court. After 25 years or whatever suddenly the Univeristy dedided to put handrails down the center of each aisle. STRANGE COINCIDENCE hahahahaha

I remember seeing that at at least one game in 1992 when I first returned from my Navy career. I was both stunned and curious.,. And it lasted not much longer to be sure

I believe Hoyo’s Revenge was started by Mr./Comrade Crimson but then he got pushed out after getting the ball really rolling.

2 Likes