The Transfer Portal Thread

It seems like lots of posts might be getting lost in the Las Vegas Bowl thread, so we’re moving those here. Post away!

Tribune reporting it as well. I’ll miss him. Loved his toughness and personality. I hope it works out for him.

3 Likes

Or he just wants to finish his career at home. He’s shared posts of others “going home” to SMU, that might be playing a role.

1 Like

Bernard is a good change-of-pace back, but I’m not sure he is a carry-the-load every-down back. Glover shows flashes, and I keep waiting for him to be great, but he lacks a burst and can’t break tackles. We’ll have to see how the Idaho kid does at the Big 12 level. Is Curry coming back?

I seem to have picked up a bonus “Man Cold” from the Vegas Bowl. Its the gift that keeps on giving. I may need someone to perform last rites, Im having difficulty staying away from thr light. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m pretty sure he’s graduating this year also. I don’t fault kids who graduate and decide to transfer.

6 Likes

My grandson goes to SMU, is in awe of the money there. Crazy stories, but to get into the ACC they needed $110 million and easily reached it with 10 donors.

I wouldn’t be surprised if JJ is getting 7 figures in NIL.

SMU is seriously on the rise… as quickly as money can pay for it.

4 Likes

It’s all about what he can get paid to play. A good RB probably in the range of $500,000.—and SMU can top whatever Utah offers. So, get used to it—if Texas A&M can pay Jimbo Fisher $77M to go away—think what it can bid for players.
A current administrative hearing being held to determine if players are legally employees. They probably are, so that may change things. They will be paid “directly” by the schools & if so then there could be salary caps with minimums & maximums. Not sure Utah will be able to match the big money schools even then.

2 Likes

Schools are now managing cap space the way pro teams do. I wonder how colleges can institute a salary cap though. In the pros, you have a players union that negotiates a league contract with the salary cap in it. Who negotiates on behalf of college players? Whaty incentive do they have to agree to a cap?

2 Likes

SMU has insane levels of booster money…if that’s indeed where JJ is going, it’s pretty understandable. And he will be a grad, returning to his home town. It sucks to lose him but I totally get it.

3 Likes

They didn’t tile SMU’s 30 for 30 “Pony Exce$$” for nothing.

4 Likes

I hope Whit and co. are searching diligently for another back or two.

1 Like

I’m intrigued by the RB from Idaho. Back to back FCS All America years. He looks a little like John White’s JC video, but 25 lbs heavier and I’m sure not at fast. Maybe a less physical, quicker version of Booker.

Rewatching the FL game, I’d forgotten what a burst Bernard has, up the middle.

Nothing but best wishes to JJ, and if he’s getting a big payday from SMU, good for him. He was a warrior here.

4 Likes

I wish him well too. It just sucks to lose him. If healthy, he could be a 1,500-yard RB.

2 Likes

I think we all expected this, especially after that “report” that popped up 2 or 3 weeks ago.

I wish him the best. I hope that he heals well, and does well wherever he goes.

1 Like

Starting to wonder if it would be faster to note who doesn’t enter the portal……

Nor would I. Right now we are looking like a “Developed Players 'R Us” store where wealthy programs shop for good talent bargains that our coaches found and polished.

4 Likes

Official?

3 Likes

Rumors are that he’s headed to SMU.

He must really dislike it at Utah if he’s going from (potentially) the feature back in a P5 title contending team to…SMU. Good luck.

Sucks to lose him, but with Bernard, Glover, the new guy from Idaho, and some of the young guys, I think we’ll be ok next year.

2 Likes

I think we will be fine at RB.

5 Likes