The transfer portal + NIL + no serious rules = chaos

well it is a day that end in a ‘y’

2 Likes

That’s my favorite type of drivel.

1 Like

The truth is both the portal and NIL are moving so wildly, there is no way to determine an NCAA violation from good business in this unfettered state. How NIL gets regulated and monitored is anyone’s guess.

The transfer portal has opened the door for the opportunistic HC and staff to literally take dumpster fire program from worst to first in one season. Case and point - USU. A 2020 dumpster fire gets a new HC. Over one off season they pulled in enough talent through the portal to win the MWC. Nobody in P5 has done anything like it…yet. I don’t think it ends up affecting the Blue Bloods, but the kids leaving those programs might make some of the mid P5’s and G5’s a whole lot more competitive.

The Parity everyone has clamored for in recent years.

Everyone says they want parity, but I think what they are really saying is they want a few elite teams, just that it rotates around conferences and regions of the country :wink: . Both are probably not going to happen. Only going to find parity if it’s like the NFL with salary caps and such. Guessing there will always be haves and have nots in college sports. But the portal and NIL certainly create opportunities here and there for some rapid changes. 4* and 5* that don’t start at ________ (fill in colleges) should all collude and pick a place with a cool coach or random college picker (let’s say Vandy) and go win most of their games. That would be fun. Or just do Jackson St. and coach primetime.

They’re the LSU Football of Baseball.

1 Like

This blurb was included in a daily email I get from The Athletic. I mean, the landscape has really changed, huh? Not that I am surprised where this has gone, just how quickly it happened.

Miami guard Isaiah Wong was a key cog in the Hurricanes’ Elite Eight run this year. If his NIL agent is to be believed, Wong will head to the transfer portal today — unless he gets more NIL money .

Adam Papas, Wong’s NIL agent, told ESPN plainly about the situation, which is a new tactic in the emerging NIL world. Wong is going through the NBA draft evaluation process, but clearly wants to be back in college and, according to Papas, back at Miami. For a price.

It might not work out for Wong, either , as billionaire John Ruiz, who has signed more than 100 Hurricanes athletes to NIL deals — including Wong — told ESPN he will not be renegotiating Wong’s deal. So either Wong gets the money from somewhere else or it’s off to the portal.

Contract holdouts: now in college basketball!

3 Likes

My feeling is this won’t end well.

3 Likes

Reason 4,475,218 why the NBA needs to set up a farm system like baseball. If they want to get paid like a pro, then go pro. If they want to be student athletes, sign the letter of intent, sign the NIL contract, and enjoy the education and athletic experience.

1 Like

College athletics is definitely going down the Wong track….

2 Likes

Thanks for the nice chuckle on a Friday.

2 Likes

‘Cons being ‘Cons…makes you wonder what kind of wrap sheet these guys had to have to end up going to Miami.

G-league?

Frank Layden always figured it should be set up similar to MLB and NHL. It should have be A to AAA operation. It can draft and sign 18 year olds. If a player signs an NLI and enrolls at a College or University, the player (without receiving a hardship waiver) cannot be drafted until after their Sophomore season.

4 Likes

I think it’s delightful.

FTFO!

Alabama (or a Tide booster) offered Dalton Kincaid $1 million to transfer. This comes from a tremendously reliable source. My guess is that it was probably done legally, at least on the surface. I don’t think there is a rule against a booster doing that.

That seems crazy. One thing to offer NIL deal to a kid, but seems like the old booster tampering. They’ve got to implement a rule that the NIL offers can only come once a kid has signed or committed, but it’ll just be a ‘wink, wink’ situation but maybe that should come with penalties. NCAA is trash. Time to blow it all up.

1 Like

Can’t be done legally, NIL rules prohibit NIL offers being used as a form of recruitment.

3 Likes

I don’t know enough to know exactly what happened.

Details don’t really matter. Kincaid wasn’t an athlete Alabama, so there was no way to offer a NIL to him legally.

Not that I think the NCAA has any desire to enforce their own rules

1 Like