The transfer portal + NIL + no serious rules = chaos

Ok, but how would you do that?

1 Like

Caps on NIL values? Or comparable values to other endorsements (which is whay this kind of should be - actualnuse of name, their image, or likeness (eg video games)? Offers can’t be contigent on a school (probably no way to enforce this one though)?

1 Like

I honestly don’t know, but these guys need to be careful what they wish for. Minor league players (e.g. baseball, hockey) make very little money compared to their major league counterparts. When fans realize their schools are not really the team but just the emblem on the jersey, the money might just start to disappear. Yes, college football is big business right now. But these players might take the whole system down with them if they’re not careful.

NO ONE is entitled to free room and board, stipends, and an education at world class universities. The vast majority of these guys would have no reason to be on campus but for God-given athleticism. I worked a job at $7 per hour when I was 18. I got into USC with a God-given intellect and a lot of hard work. No one is entitled to success - you must earn it.

FTFO!

5 Likes

The value they were getting pre NIL from the players was more valuable than the “education” they were getting. Many people I know who went to SC didn’t have intellect but their parents did have a big checkbook. Sure there are many like you and I applaud you for what you did. That is admirable.

1 Like

One PAC-12 AD speaks out:

If you can’t get recruits to a legal weed state you have other issues.

4 Likes

Nick Saban agrees more with @LAUte than he does with me:

Or it could help HBCUs get more players. Yesterday another top recruit went to Deion and Jackson State:

Honestly, football has been boring for decades. Same programs from the same 4 or 5 conferences. I’d love to see and HBCU jump up and start winning like Jackson State or Southern. Also, CNS has a way of warning via a press conference about something he’s already figured out and will dominate. Remember when y’all played us we barely passed and ran RPOs. He complained in a press conference and then the next year started running it and scoring 40+ a game. This lets me know he’s about to go all in on NIL and Transfer Portal. Heck, we already have LSU’s best DB and Ga. Tech’s leading rusher practicing with the team.

Rinse of how Coach K said he hated 1-and-dones but then a couple years later had a team of them because it was the only way to compete. No more experienced senior laden teams. I think just like corporations, coaches just want to know the rules so they cam spend time on what they love and are good at rather than thinking of new ways to live on the edges (there are some coaches that love that though). With some of these superstar millionaire NIL athletes if it will be harder to coach, although it always took a special skill set to manage egos while still coaching up and creating team cohesion. Just gets harder with transferring made easier as well.

This seems significant.

Former Oregon RB Travis Dye transfers to USC

1 Like

He’s right. Everybody knows it.

Everyone except Southern Cal.

1 Like

It’s horrible how players can now make a decision just like a coach does. They should be subservient to an institution that can drop their scholarship at any time.

Same Brady Hoke who left SDSU for Michigan after year two on a five year deal. Uh huh. Hates that players have the same option he had.

2 Likes

If they’re gonna get paid now, they should be able to leave any year they don’t like their team, aren’t getting playing time, or if the coach leaves or is fired like in the NFL… :wink:

Since players are recruited more to coaches then schools it seems, maybe they get 1 free transfer IF the coach (maybe add the position coach or recruiting coach) leaves. Otherwise, sit out a year if they transfer.

The portal is now just free agency. Maybe we need a draft. Does seem like some coaches could/will do better if they recruited the portal more than HS kids to develop.

All in jest, we got Rising and Thomas and Pledger through the portal as well as other good players, so … just is a crazy new environment of people moving around more quickly. Never was about academics for most. Now it’s just more obvious.

2 Likes

If there were no NIL I’d be inclined to agree with you. I think NIL combined with the portal is the real witches’ brew.

2 Likes

I’m guessing here, but the big deals probably go to the star players at the schools with big, wealthy booster population. The median might not mean much.

Silicon Valley is full of nerds and geeks who care little about college football. Now if it were a bunch of breweries, snack food companies, or shoes manufacturers it would be a different story!

More like dime bags and Doritos…

It was only a matter of time before people started ranking players by their NIL value.

1 Like