The transfer portal + NIL + no serious rules = chaos

Asking for clarification. I know you talk about the value of an education for the athletes and why they shouldn’t be paid but then turn around and complain about walk-on players getting the value of an education in payment. It’s a very disjointed view or one that is not coming from an honest place to begin with.

I think you are correct that the NFL should assist. The question remains “how?”. Perhaps that will come if, or when the P4/5 breaks away from the rest of the NCAA.

Whispers it already was professional football without the proper compensation

It’s almost as if you guys think these guys don’t deserve to be paid for the bodily harm they take for your enjoyment and for the glory of your state run institutions.

1 Like

Wow. You really managed to twist Diehard’s post.

It’s almost as if you think there are no downsides to paying players. (See how easy that is to do?)

2 Likes

The tension between education and sports at the bigtime collegiate level - reminds me of when Robert Smith was a freshman at tOSU and let the cat out of the bag about too much pressure against him taking a serious class load, when he wanted to be pre-Med in his academics.

(This might also be part of why Stanford has underperformed so much - too many examples of great people around them in the student body, alumni and faculty + too many “real life” speeches by David Shaw.)

1 Like

It’s easy and correct. There isn’t any downside to paying people for their work. Also, when I replied to him that was the first line. The second paragraph was for the rest of the thread.

The idea that there is a magic bullet rule to create parity is a joke. The powerful remain powerful and will always find a way to work within the rules. The rules tend to hurt the smaller guy. The only thing I appreciate these two rules (NIL and Transfer) is it’s taken the power and agency and put it back in the player’s control.

1 Like

The bigger issue in college football is going to be how the vast majority of schools are essentially running semi-pro teams at a loss and subsidizing their stadiums and programs on the backs of student fees that are covered by loans for poorer students. I’m cool with Athletes being paid (though we’re screwed up as a culture and pay too much for them and not enough for teachers). What I’m not cool with is Universities playing pro-team owners at the expense of academics and students who are living off loans. The U of U still has one of the most affordable, high quality academic programs in the nation and we make sure our athletes graduate. So I can still be a proud Ute. But I really can’t say that about most other programs around the country.

I love College football as a sport, but as a business, it’s FUBAR’d.

4 Likes

I don’t disagree with anything you said here. Not sure how you can reverse it now short of free college for all and/or removing athletic departments from State and University funding. Make it all have to be self sufficient. You may lose some programs but not sure that’s a bad thing.

The term student athlete is a misnomer, at least for men’s D-I football and basketball, it would be more properly called professional athlete - student. Like many things in modern society and culture, it has been corrupted and perverted well outside the original meaning and intent.

4 Likes

Like many things though we look back at the “glory days” a little too fondly.

5 Likes

I matriculated out of state to the U because, “it’s the greatest ski college on earth”. If you’d rather be skiing Alta’s High Traverse, Greely Bowl, or Yellow Trail today, than in the mid 70’s, when you dropped in and the tracks you saw were you own, then we are from different planets.

Actually, I haven’t been to a UU football (or basketball) game since 2004. Years ago, I resolved that if they became full fledged professional sports, I’d opt out. Go ahead and support the NFL or NBA if you wish (neither of which I care for). The Rose Bowl may be the last D-I event I attend.

1 Like

So, Nick Saban questions people about rules they want to allow. Apparently they are questions to let them know he’s about to get even stronger. Even I admit us getting him from GT is going to be insane. Major Alvin Kamara vibes to go with Bryce Young:

Not to mention picking up Mater Dei and IMG kid and former LSU DB:

1 Like

Is it wrong of me to want the kid from Wyoming to fall on his face? They hand him the reins to the team and he has 3 yrs of eligibility left and has a good bowl game then tells the school and team to pound sand ! What a dick !!

You’re allowed to do whatever you like. Good for Jayden Clemons who is now QB 1. That said, why did their star WR leave as well. There is more to this.

2 Likes

This is by Ari Wasserman, an Athletic writer who thinks NIL is just dandy. (Paywalled; this is just an excerpt.)

Guess what? Everyone who is jealous of Texas A&M’s success has accused Fisher and his staff of cheating.

My hope was that baseless cheating accusations would die with the introduction of name, image and likeness. I, unfortunately, was wrong.

Nobody is saying cheating doesn’t happen in college football recruiting. Of course it does. But what proof do Stephen and the thousands of other people who make similar statements have? Or are these just angry comments because you’re blown away by what the Aggies are doing? In the NIL era, it is perfectly legal for boosters to set up whatever financial circumstances they want for the players on the team. Even if NIL money is the reason everyone is going to Texas A&M, is that against the rules? Are you mad players are making more money? Does it annoy you that your school isn’t paying as much?

Great recruiters always go above and beyond — hopefully within the rules — to squeeze the very most value they can out of every situation. If Texas A&M figured out a financial system that can benefit its athletes better than those at other schools, then why is that a bad thing? To me, in a world where it is legal, I’d just put that under the umbrella of top-notch recruiting.

I can bet one thing: If A&M’s class was built based solely off of NIL money, competing programs and coaches are aware of it and they’ll adapt in the next cycle to ensure A&M doesn’t run away with the top class once again. When someone is good at something, what happens? Others take note and try it, too.

It’s the beginning of the end. The NCAA has been living off these kids for decades, but NIL isn’t the answer either.

FTFO!

3 Likes

What would you suggest in place of both the NCAA and the NIL?

We probably agree that the upper portion of the FBS is essentially pro-football, a feeder league for the NFL so to speak.

2 Likes

Including Utah. Utah has put more dudes in the league than SC over the past 4 drafts. Utah is the football school where a Women’s Hoops school like SC needs all the help they can get with NIL.

1 Like

There needs to be some type of regulation either through the NCAA or P-5 self-legislation. This is not “sustainable.” I want to root for kids who want to be at my school, not the highest bidder.

FTFO!

1 Like

Interesting.
200w