The official "What are you listening to right now?" thread

This was reminded to me because of so much going on in the world. The craziness, the oddities, etc. Perhaps it has something to do with the change of the seasons.

4 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

Up late listening to music, to take my mind off the loss today. I’m not sure why old Beatles tunes came to mind, except perhaps the folks I had lunch with today, but, I think I payed attention to this tune for the first time in decades.

These are some unusual, vocal harmonies. No traditional melody with one or two harmonies, just a collection of harmonies.

Edit to say: Lennon/McCartney had to have been listening to the Everly Brothers when they conceived of these harmonies.

8 Likes

OK, now I’m looking for them… Here’s another unusual collection of harmonies. The chorus is pretty traditional but each verse is a collection of harmonies without a real melody. This one sounds like they might have been thinking Beach Boys.

5 Likes

One more unusual harmony tune, from the boys… with the added interest of Harrison using a volume pedal with his guitar to imitate a pedal steel.

5 Likes
2 Likes

After my late night foray into old Beatles vocal harmonies, I’m spending a few minutes looking up some Rolling Stones tunes from the same unique vocal harmony perspective. I’m just starting on the exercise, but was reminded of what an ALL TIME CLASSIG this tune is:

• exceptional rhythm
  • excellent vocals and harmonies
  • Keith Richards continuing to revolutionize rhythm guitar, (played in open G tuning, which Richards learned from Ry Cooder)
  • saxophones, which dramatically added to the tune, and were not as common in those days.

I was 13 when this tune was released, and when hearing it in the car, my father would switch it off, lecture me about propriety and decency, (lessons I did learn) and my mother would politely ask if we could listen to something else.

Neither of them understood that I was paying no attention to the title or lyrics, only the music, which is extraordinary.

4 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

I know “it” when I hear it, and Jimi had it.

1 Like

I think this captures Jimmy’s oft spoken about shy personality and of course, his remarkable versatility.

For those who care, I just read he tuned it down 4 semitones to B-standard

5 Likes

My customized Jimi shirt. It’s getting pretty worn out and the company that made it is out of business :confounded:

1 Like

Here’s an interesting one by Hendrix

3 Likes

Electric Ladyland is a terrific album.

3 Likes
4 Likes

RR bringing the SRV heat!! Oh yeah!!

All the mention of CCR in another thread had me recalling my favorite tune of theirs - it was actually written and recorded first in the mid 50s by Screamin’ Jay Hawkins (a REALLY eccentric guy and weird tune), but the CCR version is the one I grew up hearing and loving.

4 Likes
4 Likes