The official "What are you listening to right now?" thread

Started this podcast with Rich Roll and Malcolm Gladwell. Nails it here:

2 Likes

Wow! Very cool to see a Drum Corps post on Ute fans as it’s such a small community. I was in Drum Corps as a kid in the 70’s. Marched in the first three DCI finals in the Anaheim Kingsmen.

FTFO!

1 Like
4 Likes

3 Likes

That is a spectacular gold top Les Paul…

This kid was 11 yrs old at the time !

WOW… Small world eh?/ I marched for Ogden High School (Utah) 1977-1980. SOmeone recently showed me the “FromThePressbox” site which has a fairly exhaustive history of scoring events. Including al the way back to summer 1977 when the high school band went to Edmonton Klondike Days. We marched at a competition next to then-under-construction COmmonwealth Stadium. I looked in the records and yep there we were, 5th place - but we were small, marching around in a block, and doing the high stepping marching… Basically none of us kids had EVER seen DCI before. After I graduated in 1980 2 of my bandmates went off to join SCV, so I’ve always had a soft spot for them. I attended the very first Corps Encore in Ogden at Weber State stadium, and encountered Phantom Regiment back when they had the capes, pith helmets, the whole 9 yards. I adopted them as well.

It was truly a wonderful thing to see my own experience recorded on that site.

Have you been watching or following at all this year? I invested in the FLomarching site for 2 months, long enough to get to the world finals. The Utah DBC “The Battalion” founded 2014 is going to finals for first time ever.

1 Like

Very cool! Know many people who marched in SCV in that era because when our corps folded (Anaheim Kingsmen - DCI’s first champion) half went off to SCV and Blue Devils. Loved Phantom and their classical music BITD.

I subscribed to FLO this year and I love it. I know who Battalion is. They are an up-and-comer. It was and still is a great activity for young people.

FOund this in case you’re interested. Intermission Drum and Bugle Corps is one of the funniest parody things Ive seen in years!

1 Like

I’m from the Boston area, so I have to star this.
I remember going by a club on Main street Hyannis one summer where all the early bands hit the summer circuit and seeing a band on the marque that said Aerosmith and I said “Dad, what’s an Aerosmith” and he replied “I don’t know, those hippies cant spell…”

2 Likes

Who doesn’t love Tom Petty?

2 Likes

Sad to say, Judith Durham has passed away. Terrific singer.

4 Likes