The new coach speculation thread

He had been coach of the Milwaukee Bucks

5 Likes

He came from a Backwater school in Montana. That is the truth.

The tiered power ranking of head coach candidates:

Tier 1: Alex Jensen or Johnny Bryant. Obviously, if you can get one of these, you do it. Experience, success, and ties to the university is a combo you canā€™t pass on.

Tier 2: Any of the hot mid majors. Moser, Pasternack, etc. These are all the same. Any of them has a 20% chance of being successful. Anyone who believes they can discern between any of these is fooling himself. Put the names in a hat, and draw one out.

Tier 3: Old washed up guys. Thad Matta, etc. They still know the fundamentals, even if the game has changed significantly since they were successful.

Tier 4: Other ex-Utes with coaching experience but not college level coaching experience: Van Horn, Doleac.

Tier 5: Ex-Utes with no coaching experience: Miller, Bogut. What if we just give the keys to as many of the '98 Utes as would like to collectively take the job? No head coach - a team effort all the way. Getting the band back together. And this becomes the new Utah basketball tradition. The team is always run by a collective of ex-players. Which ex-Ute would be mostly likely to cheat in recruiting?

Tier 6: Craig Smith. This guy landed one surprisingly good recruit and rode him to a payday. I mean, thatā€™s what college basketball coaching is all about, so we could do worse than hiring someone who seems to be lucky.

Tier 7. Deon Sanders. Maybe reality is sinking in for him at Jackson State.

Tier 8. Mark Pope.

Tier 9. Medved. Why is this guy on all the lists? All he did was choke down the stretch and not make the tournament. We already had a coach who can do that.

Tier 10. Random college assistant coach.

Tier 11. Rylan Jones as a player coach.

Tier 12. Randy Bennett. See Medved above. Bennett hasnā€™t done anything impressive since his Aussie pipeline dried up. And even with the Aussie pipeline, he was mildly impressive at best.

Also, question 1a in the interview is ā€œAre you willing to keep Ian Martinezā€™ Dad as an assistant coach?ā€ And it has to be phrased like that. Nobody knows this guyā€™s first name. Heā€™s just Ianā€™s Dad.

7 Likes

If youā€™re going to bring up execute so you may as well bring up Trent Whiting and Jeff Judkins. At least Jeff has college basketball coaching experience.

Ex-utes not execute :joy:

Okay. I think my first call is to Eric Musselman. He seems to like the west.

2 Likes

But how mad would they be if that happened and if lohner came with. :joy::joy:

Popeā€™s goal is to get to the ACC or SEC. Coming to Utah doesnā€™t advance that goal, and could hurt it. He is better off staying at the Y and getting to the tourney for another year or two and he is gone.

Besides, he wouldnt take the job for the same reason Rose didnā€™t. Too much community vitriol if he switched sides. not worth it. May work it to get a raise, though.

Thereā€™s a guy who was a head coach in the NBA for longer that Larry was - lastname = Boylen.

Tad Boyle was a stock broker before coming back to basketball & was the head coach at UNC (Northern Colorado) for four years before going to CU.

I think you either have the ability to be a headcoach, or you donā€™t. Thereā€™s no substitute for being that guy, but if you look at NBA ā€œsuperteamā€ benches, theyā€™re FILLED with former head coaches who are helping whoever the current head coach is.

Bryant studied the art under Quin Snyder for years. If heā€™s ready & willing, heā€™d know how to staff the team with the support a head coach needs.

Iā€™ll circle back to the #1 attribute needed - recruiting. Like Bumphis, I think Bryant can bring talent, and he knows Xs and Os as well as they can be known.

If heā€™s ready to make $2M+ a yearā€¦ welcome Coach Bryant!

3 Likes

We havenā€™t given up. Itā€™s just a matter of having the time to work something out that would create a bridge between the two sites.

In my opinion, not very much at all. So I hope Mr. wingnut tries to contribute constructively here.

3 Likes

FIFY. If youā€™re going to troll you need to use correct spelling and grammar.

1 Like

:joy: resorting to grammar smack

Stop sucking at grammar.

6 Likes

You need to capitalize the first word of the sentence and add a period at the end.

5 Likes

So many things wrong with this. Iā€™m flooded. Just a few points in response. I love the idea of Jensen or Bryant as the next great Ute coach, which is certainly why theyā€™re no. 1 on this list and why Iā€™d be strongly behind either one. But thatā€™s the heart, not the mind talking. Neither has head coaching experience, which means theyā€™re high risk.

Anyone who says a coach can just ride a single good player to the NCAA playoffs from even the MWC doesnā€™t know college basketball. We saw what Dave Rice did at UNLV with top five recruiting classes. In 2020 Utah State beat San Diego State for the MWC title, when the Aztecs were destined for a top seed and had beaten Utah by what, 40 in the preseason.

Smith has 3 NCAA invitations in 3 years, Krystkowiak had that many in 10. This isnā€™t football. NCAA bids go to teams with quality wins regardless of conference. I recall that twice the Utes finished third in the Pac 12 and didnā€™t get a bid because of weak non-con schedule and terrible losses.

Pope comes from a stellar coaching tree and his team has a 6 seed in the NCAA playoffs after losing their best player. He canā€™t beat Few you say? Who can right now? Not any Pac 12 team. Give him time.

So many Utes disparage Smith and Pope because they come from rival in-state programs (that are presently superior). That kind of sour grapes isnā€™t a mature way of assessing this.

1 Like

I read it as satire.

1 Like

What?!?!! No Alex Jensen?!?!?

1 Like

Ha. He got me.

Depends on the troll. Is it fun trolling, or just trolling to troll? So far Mr Nut is solidly in the troll to troll area.