‘The most toxic environment I’ve ever been a part of’: Inside Urban Meyer’s disastrous year with Jaguars

The Athletic put out an article today about Urban’s short stint with the Jaguars and how bad it really was.

The Most Toxic Enviroment I’ve ever been a part of

You knew it was bad to get him fired during the season, but this was really bad.

A couple of highlights:

But sources said Meyer was unfamiliar with star players around the league, including 49ers receiver Deebo Samuel, Seahawks safety Jamal Adams and Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald, a three-time NFL defensive player of the year.
“Who’s this 99 guy on the Rams?” Meyer asked one staffer during the season, according to a source. “I’m hearing he might be a problem for us.”

Not long after veteran receiver John Brown signed with the Jaguars as a free agent, he ran the wrong route in practice. To correct the mistake, Brown, who is from Florida, and rookie quarterback Trevor Lawrence ran through the route again after practice. Meyer walked up to the pair.
“Hey, Trevor, you’ve got to slow it down for him,” Meyer said, according to sources. “These boys from the South, their transcripts ain’t right.”

Just very strange. Urban was such a detail oriented perfectionist, it’s hard to believe he’d never heard of Aaron Donald. Talk about going off the rails…yikes!

2 Likes

His anxiety, OCD, and control issues along with extreme hubris and narcissism seem to have taken him over the cliff.

3 Likes

Dude got paid, but had no clue what coaching in the NFL was all about. Given the things that are now coming out of the woodwork regarding his treatment of players at the college level, in the NFL that is a fast track to get fired. The fact he actually got to the first game of the season was an act of patience and grace on Shad Khan’s part.

Then again J-ville has never been a model of stability and competitiveness.