“The Last Dance”

Anyone watching this? Any thoughts? I’m pretty blown away by it. Incredible documentary.

I’m surprised by how much behind the scenes footage they dug up that I had not seen. Really made me miss 80s and 90s era basketball. I don’t care about today’s game. If the NBA season resumes, I’ll have playoff games on the TV but it will be muted, I will be listening to music instead, and I’ll be cooking or fixing things around the house. That documentary had 100% of my attention.

From last night’s episodes, some things that stuck out:

The Indiana Pacers had a very underrated team, they were a much more complete team than I had remembered. The Bulls were very tired and beat up after playing them. The Jazz had an easier path to the finals.

Wow, Jazz fans came across looking backwards and crazy and even attempted to poison MJ apparently.

Karl Malone sticking around to congratulate the Bulls on their team bus as they left was a class act.

1 Like

That Pacers team was great. Mark Jackson, Reggie Miller, Jalen Rose, Dale Davis, Rick Smits etc. I’m surprised they were never able to win one. They lost to the Knicks in 99 and then the Lakers in 00. It was pretty much over after that.

For some reason, that doesn’t surprise me. I know a lot of folks consider him a “national treasure”, but I just don’t see it.

2 Likes

Good stories. I can’t stand Walton. He has plenty of defenders for some reason.

I was Ty Corbin’s neighbor during his playing days.

He, Stockton and Hornacek would often carpool to games. They’d pick Ty up and if we were outside when they drove past he’d often offer me his tickets.

I don’t know anyone who has much nice to say about Stockton the person. Some of the stories I’ve heard are pretty sad.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve heard of him being pretty short with fans over the years. He’s a damn good interview though.

Rumor has it that Hornacek and Keefe were the only players on that team who weren’t in open relationships. Comes from a credible source who personally knew Hornacek and Keefe.

Does the credible source know for sure that the other players WERE in open relationships?

I’ve heard bad stories about Stockton too, but hearing that he was in an open relationship seems odd.

1 Like

I thought the same thing. The friend in question used to wine and dine Jazz players. That’s all I can really say. I’m inclined to believe it.

That’t the story I heard. Supposedly lots of expletives were involved.

I can’t be the only one who wants to hear more about that.

The exact opposite of Ty Corbin.

He’d come shoot hoops with us, would bring his kids to the neighborhood birthday parties and lift kids up to dunk.

And, I sat in his seats more than once. With all the players families.

2 Likes

Terrific series. Jordan is in my generation and at the time, enjoyed the NBA, although Bird was my guy. Today, the officiating has made the NBA unwatchable, Nevertheless, I consider Lebron the GOAT. If Zion can stay healthy for 20 years, he may end up being the GOAT.

1 Like

Ugh… don’t remind me. I’m a huge Pacers fan for some reason. Those years are the years that made me a fan. Wonderful, painful years.

That looks like a “good, not great” NBA team to me.

C - Rick Smits*
PF - Antonio Davis*
SF - Chris Mullen*$
PG - Mark Jackson*
SG - Reggie Miller*$

C - Dale Davis*
PF - Derrick McKey
SF - Austin Croshere
PG - Travis Best
SG - Jalen Rose

• NBA All-Star
      $ - NBA Hall of Fame

Six All-Stars, two HOFers, the other 4 contributors off the bench were solid starters on other teams.

Larry Bird as HC.

I can’t think of another team with that much talent that didn’t win a championship.

1 Like

Meh… Call it what you want. I don’t really care. When I said great, I wasn’t really talking about their historical significance. I was really just talking about the level of enjoyment I got from watching them. They had a few very good players that were nearing the end of their careers (jackson, mullen), and a ton of solid role players. Davis, McKey, Croshere, Best, and Rose would be the best bench in the NBA today.

They were a very deep team, but lacking in true star power. Reggie is my favorite player of all time, and I believe he is criminally underrated as a shooter, and player overall… but he wasn’t on Jordan’s level, and nobody on his team was anywhere near Pippen’s level.

I wish Reggie could play in today’s game, alongside another high level 3 pt shooter. With the way the game is called these days, he would get open shots every time down the court. Heck, he’d probably have somewhere around 15-20 pts a game just from free throws alone.

He’s basically Clay Thompson with 10x the competitive drive.

Oh, I liked that team too. I liked Reggie and Smits.

I don’t think Reggie is underrated, though. He’s known as one of the great all-time shooters.

1 Like

he’s known as one of them by people that were watching back then, but he gets placed behind the likes of Ray Allen and Klay Thompson all the time… which I think is just ridiculous. Ray was a great shooter, but he was far less dynamic that Reggie, and he never had to carry a team like Reggie did. Also, Reggie consistently beat him when he played for the Bucks. People look at the numbers and think, “oh, Allen made more threes, he’s the better shooter.” If you actually saw the two playing against each other, there was no question who the better player/shooter was.

The people who try to argue that Klay is a better shooter/player are just misinformed in my opinion. Klay would be terrible playing against the defenses Reggie dealt with, as his team’s only viable scoring option.

That’s great!
Watch “My Favorite Year” sometime. The opening scene in the writers room is priceless.