THE EXPANSE - farewell and following seas.. or whatever the space equivalent is

WHILE I AM NOT GOING TO BE ONE OF THOSE “DON’T SPOIL ME” A**HOLES, THERE WONT BE ANY BAN ON THEM, SO FAIR WARNING IF YOU READ THIS THREAD AND SEE INFO YOU DIDNT WANT TO. FINISH THE SHOW AND/OR BOOKS FIRST.

As of midnight past, the final episode of this truly amazing series was posted online. Just finished it. The show’s writers and director did a truly awesome job of wrapping things up within the limit imposed by Amazon/Alcon Entertainment.

The show consists of 6 series, of varying episode numbers; while the book series it was based on released it’s 9th and final book in November. IIRC the first book, Leviathan Wakes, was published in 2011, meaning that the duo of writers involved under the Pen Name of James. S.A. Corey spent more than 10 years crafting this epic. Many partisans of the show are disappointed that it has ended without adapting the final trilogy, but it makes perfect sense to have SOME type of break, given the 30 year time jump between books 6 and 7. There was a clear intent to at leas lay some groundwork for future story adaptation in series 6 however. We shall see what the future brings us.

I heartily encourage and welcome other UF.N members’ assessment/commentary on your own experiences with the show and books over the past decade.

I really need to catch up on this. Binged through the first few seasons back when I was traveling, but haven’t gone back to it since.

Will make it my next show, I think.

Watched it…enjoyed it…up until the point the show ended and I had to go to the bathroom…and deal with hypoglycemia.

If you haven’t seen it, and you like SciFi shows, give it a watch.

It’s been one of my favorite shows. I liked the end. But I do wish there are more seasons at some point because there are more stories to tell. I hope it doesn’t leave us wanting like Firefly.

I’ve been looking for a new sci-fi book series. For those who have read these, are they worth the time investment?

1 Like

Books are fantastic! Just about done with the last book. Really enjoyed them all

1 Like

In order to save time perhaps, I can 100% recommend the Audiobooks on Audible. Jeferson Mays has done a truly brilliant job of all 09 nooks. His ability to do SO MANY DIFFERENT ACCENTS is mind-boggling

Well, its a mistake to put them together,. Firefly was AIRED OUT OF ORDER, without the pilot going fiorst… Is it any wonder the viewers didnt get fully invested? And all indications are the people running the prodution at the time were more than happy to choke it in the crib.

Read the final trilogy for the culmination of everything. BUt considering the authors quite intentionally shut the Laconia gate and have everything hidden for 30 years, it makes perfect sense to end the current show where it is. Depending on building fan response in the meantime, it might be what is needed to convince another large studio to do the pickup. If they were to try and do it any time soon, the current actors could reasonably continue their roles. We’ve all seen how bad TV is at aging issues! I think a significant hiatus is a good idea at this point.

1 Like

And was cancelled mid-season. Still left us with the the greatest TV sci-fi ever created.

I’m about 2/3 of the way through the first Expanse book (which is really fast for me…I’m a slow reader) and it’s been fan-damn-tastic. I’m actually kinda glad I watched the first 4 seasons of the show first, as I can compare and contrast the differences.

3 Likes

Yes, the differences become quite stark at a certain point. Again, I highly recommend the audiobooks - the narrator is brilliant at al the accents, which truly adds more depth. Hearing Avasarala swearing with the HIndi accent of her Indian background is just hilarious[Shoreh was brilliant, but didnt have that accent - hers is actually Persian]