The Craig Smith era begins

I think early season attendance will be a problem whenever the football team is having a good year, unless the hoops team is also excellent. Football sucks up all the attention when the team is good, and people won’t focus on a .500 hoops team until football is done.

1 Like

5-0… 5-0 against the spread

If we beat byu… we are a bubble team

2 Likes

that coveted Sunshine Slam trophy is ours!

5 Likes

Crap! Holt is out for the season. Madsen and Anthony are unknown for next week.

1 Like

Arizona has impressed so far this year, they are up on #4 Michigan by 17

2 Likes

Very much need a lot of loud Utah fans in the Hunty Saturday night. Don’t let the damned obnoxious Zoobs take over the arena.

2 Likes

I will say I am pleasantly surprised by the team’s performance so far. Hope we stay undefeated by ramming a loss into the heart of BYU’s magical season.

GO UTES!!!

2 Likes

Certainly would like a victory over Pope (who is almost as unlikeable as Frank Arnold) and his team. But they could be really good and crushed Oregon (in Portland) last week. The more Utah fans show up Saturday, the better our chances.

6 Likes

and almost as unlikeable as Roger Reid

6 Likes

Agreed with beating, or at least being competitive with, TDS. The way the injuries are already taking place, it’s going to be tough.

1 Like

To borrow a term from Larry (and one that Andrew from Runnin Hoops continues to use), Alex Barcello is the clear Head of the Snake for our friends to the south. Hes putting up 21 points per game on 70/100/60 shooting splits in their first 4 games. If Marco/Rollie/World Star Dave can slow him down, they have a lot of guys in that 7-8 points per game range and we could have a shot. Gotta have the 3s falling and the turnovers down.

3 Likes

They must have Anthony to have a chance.

Lazar continues to impress.

2 Likes

Rollie seems to be foul prone. Being that he’s the only PG on the roster, it’s probably best NOT to give him a difficult defensive assignment.

1 Like

Marco and Rollie guard the best two-wing players. One of them is always in to guard your best guy.
If you watched the last game against Tulsa the reason Rollie fouled out with those quick fouls at the end, was the Tulsa head coach literally throwing the race card around for why they were losing. Officials responded with touch fouls at the end. Both of those situations were disappointing.
Our backcourt defense with those two has been outstanding so far. Haven’t played any world beaters yet. BYU will be a great test. Bummed Marco won’t be 100%.

1 Like

Race card? Please explain.

1 Like

I’m with you. That came out of left field.

1 Like

Watched USU beat Oklahoma. Justin Bean, a former walk on was the player of the game & Brock Miller won the game with 2 late 3’s. Both are holdovers from Craig Smith coaching–shows he can develop players, as neither was a highly rated/big program recruited player out of H.S.

And Rylan Jones had to leave the game after he crashed into scorer’s table chasing a loose ball & then came back & stepped in front of a bigger player (which is almost everyone) & took a hard charge near the end of the game.

2 Likes

Rylan always played a tough fearless style often taking charges against much bigger opponents. Wish we was still a Ute and hope he stays healthy.

4 Likes

this morning I looked at a few of the players stats that transferred out last year. For a couple of players it was a good move their production and minutes improved, but for a few guys (Larssen and Martinez) they would have benefited sticking around:

Pelle Larssen 17 mins 5.6 points … with Utah 27 mins 8.2 points

Ian Martinez 16 mins 4.1 points … with Utah 16 mins 5.2 points

Alfonso Plummer 29 mins 16.7 points … with Utah 28 mins 13.6 points

Rylan Jones 30 mins 8.7 points 6.0 assists … with Utah 25 mins 4.4 points

Tim Allen 26 mins 13.1 points … with Utah 35 mins 17.2 points

9 Likes

Thanks for putting this together!