The Craig Smith era begins

Cravens is almost…almost…to Farmer Fred.

1 Like

Craig Smith & his team are fun to watch. He was just as animated when the end of the bench was in at garbage time as he was at the start of the game.
Now it would help if people would fill the empty seats. According to Harlan they sold all but 700 seats for the lower bowl—which with the curtain closed is all there is available. And e-tickets are easy to transfer—-so. ???

2 Likes

I just couldn’t go to a basketball game the evening of a day when I had already spent several hours watching a football game. I did offer all my basketball tickets free to a number of people, but nobody wanted them. Maybe it’s just scheduling.

2 Likes

That’s a big reason we gave up our season tickets.

We couldn’t justify the cost, especially with the time commitment we put into football and gymnastics. Making it to another 18 games wasn’t feasible anymore.

2 Likes

It’s scheduling. I would have taken you up if my daughter’s school play was not that night.

you just need to prioritize your life :slight_smile: I figure during the whole 8,760 hours in the year I get 13 football games and 30 basketball games. That demands about 135 hours (figuring in game time travel time etc…) That’s 1.5% of my time doing something I truly love.

Another point in Smith’s coaching philosophy which I like is no more flopping trying to get charge calls.
That used to drive me crazy–which admittedly is not a long trip

Prior staff used to have their players practice taking a charge.
Poor Rylan Jones used to take it seriously & got his head knocked in.

2 Likes

speaking of Rylan Jones last game 10 points, 4 rebounds, 5 assists

Alfonso Plummer 8 points, 2 rebs

Timmy Allen 18 points, 6 Rebs 4 assists

Ian Martinez 3 points, 5 rebs, 2 assists

Pelle Larsen 4 points, 3 rebs, 5 assists

3 Likes

They showed the zags-horns game on the jumbotron at halftime Sat night. It was hard watching Timmy Allen. He was their leading scorer.

3 Likes

I wish Larsen and Martinez had stayed, but my impression of Allen and Plummer is that they are me first guys.

6 Likes

3-0 Against the spread so far…

1 Like

Anyone have any info on how to watch the Sunshine slam on Saturday? I’ve never heard of “FLO sports”

1 Like

I don’t know, I thought Larry’s teams were good at taking care of business against bad teams. Wasn’t it two years ago that Utah beat Mississippi Valley St. by 94? It was the mediocre and below-average teams that I thought the Utes slipped up against too often.

That was a great lineup for sure. Kuzma was still developing, but yes, it was a formidable group. Problem was, Arizona was great that year; otherwise, Utah would have had a conference championship.

1 Like

The one thing ill say about the 2014-2015 team is that while yes, Kuz was on the team, he was the third string 4 that year. At that point, Reyes and brekkott were better players. Something happened between his freshman and sophomore year and he beat out both of those guys the next year and started to become the kuz we all know and love.

5 Likes

I poked around a bit. All I could find was the FLO sports thing, and it will cost $30 to get the 2 games. Ouch.

Hoping for a stream.

1 Like

FLO sports started as a way to watch bike races, they’ve expanded greatly over the years to more sports, among other areas of viewership.

These may be throwback games. Not the uniforms. We may have to listen on the radio!

1 Like

When they were Fr Chapman was clearly ahead of Kuzma. The next year it seemed like Chapman took a big step back while Kuzma took a huge step forward.

6 Likes

What type of early season scheduling would create more interest and better attendance? There are a couple of things that will happen every year.
The tournament that gets you 3 games
Alternating home and away with BYU
After that you have 7 games to work with. I would be happy with 4 home games, 2 away games and 1 neutral site game. If the neutral site game really isn’t neutral like this year against TCU, I would add another home game. It appears that the SWAC deal through the PAC 12 will have us playing more SWAC teams at home and sometimes playing away. I don’t know if this is an annual thing or not.
If I could have created this years schedule, it would be:

1. Home vs. SWAC like Bethune-Cookman
  2. Home vs. Big Sky like UVU, SUU or Dixie (now Utah Tech)
  3. Away vs. USU (Ideally for me, you would play USU alternating home and away opposite of the BYU game.) I am sure Smith would not want to do that immediately, and in place of USU, I would go with Weber St.
  4. a neutral site game against a bigger name opponent. (TCU isn’t a big time program, but I guess it was the best we could do).
  5. a home game with a Big 10, Big XII or ACC team. (nobody this year)
  6. an away game against Big 10, Big XII or ACC (Missouri this year is fine)
  7. best home opponent we can schedule without a return. I don’t know if Fresno fits this description or not.
1 Like