The cool pictures thread

Sun / showers / then sun (the south tip of Antelope Island & the exposed salt flat land bridge in the distance.)

Springtime in Utah is a nice blend, we definitely need any precip we can get!

2 Likes

Many of my regular cycling routes take me past this island, but I’m usually going south to north (on the west side). Yesterday, I happened to come at the island from the east and saw a familiar logo.

Nice work! (Steggy’s, was this your doing?)

5 Likes
11 Likes

The view from the deck of the cabin we’re renting in Gatlinburg, TN this week.

Doesn’t suck.

6 Likes

It’s 100% Steggy.

1 Like

4 Likes

San Clemente

1 Like

On the way to Shanghai Airport

4 Likes

So John Holmes Memorial Highway? :wink:

4 Likes

I suspect Mrs CCU remembers that sign from when she was in Shanghai a few years ago for work. That’s would’ve made me giggle like immature kid I really am.

2 Likes

These are all 35mm shots on various Minolta cameras. The first one was taken in the Silver Island Mountains just next to Wendover. The house and the ranch had been abandoned for many years and I was able to get that shot using a red filter.

The next image is (obviously) of Mount Olympus. I’m pretty sure I took it from my roof.

The last is Spring City, Utah with a view of Horseshoe Mountain in the distance.

7 Likes

Home Depot

9 Likes

Spent some time around Fairview for the first time in years last weekend. I first discovered Sanpete County in the middle 70’s when I was introduced to the area by high school classmates that had recently relocated to the Salt Lake area.

Some years later, I discovered that my wife’s family were some of the original settlers of and had been in Sanpete Country for generations and met a few who were still there. I’ve known a few people who built cabins at various places along Skyline Drive and visited some of them over the years.

There are a lot of rural/mountain places in the US which are more famous, but there are none that are more beautiful.

(Sorry - like a fool, I spent too much time looking at the beautiful scenery and forgetting to take photos, so I have nothing to post except my thoughts.)

1 Like

So, funny follow-up story from that picture.

The last night we were at the cabin, I was awoken at 4:50am by someone screaming at the top of their lungs outside, down by the other cabin you can see in that picture. They were screaming about how “Those motherf$%ckers aren’t going to catch me!” and “I’m going to kill every last one of them!” and “All those motherf#&kers are going to pay.” and “They’ll all be sorry for this!”. Every other frenzied rant was punctuated by a loud Rick Flair-ish “WOOOOOOOO!!!” screamed out into the trees.

This went on for about 15 minutes, and was (obviously) starting to make me really damn nervous that some nut job was about to go on a murder spree 100 yards away from us. So I was on the phone with 911 at 5:00am while everyone else in our cabin was dead asleep. Cops showed up and when I told them what was going on, it sounded like this wasn’t the first time they’ve been called out there. They had a pretty tense discussion with the dude (looked like they came to the door with their guns drawn), but finally got him calmed down. I can only assume there were very significant drugs and/or alcohol involved to be screaming paranoid rantings at the trees at 5:00 on a random Thursday morning.

We were due to check out that morning anyway, so we sped up that process a bit once everyone woke up and booked it out of there very quickly. There were a couple dudes that strolled by on morning walks, and I’ll admit it made me a little nervous. Was a bit afraid the dude had come to “finish his job”.

3 Likes

That is a crazy story (and beautiful area of the country). Not to turn any of this political, but boy, that’s what red flag laws seem perfect to address. Thoughts/threats + influenced by substances + impulse could equal bad things (really any of those 2).

3 Likes

Visited Manzanar. Shot some hoops and experienced the beauty in a place of much pain.

4 Likes

Wow, glad no one was hurt. FWIW we were a couple of hours northeast of you 2 weeks ago in and around Johnson City for a bike race. That part of TN is beautiful. Hope you got to do some good exploring, while I’m in Knoxville next week I have a couple days where I’m not involved with the USPros, I’m going to head out to explore. Hopefully I get some good pics to share, both of bikes and the area.

1 Like

[quote=“Steggys_Mixtapes, post:1, topic:3863”]

I’ll start…

A picture is worth a thousand words

Boulder bike ride

4 Likes

Some Sanpete County shots:

9 Likes

5MB = 40Mb

Bandwidth on a network usually involves some fraction of the speed of light. Speed of light covers about one foot per nanosecond… which is kind of freaky.

Truck going 60 covers 88 feet per second.

But bandwidth doesn’t necessarily involve the speed of the medium (like with disk transfer speeds), so I’ll go with 40Mbps.

3 Likes