Strange but interesting facts

This isn’t shocking because Sanpete only has 30,000 people, and Norbest Is based in the county. It’s just kind of funny to see that little speck on this national map.

More interesting turkey facts:

We call the bird a “turkey” because the birds coming from North America were being confused with Guinea fowl that were native to the region controlled by the Ottomans.

The Turks call the bird a “Hindi” because it was believed that they were coming from India, thanks to that genius Christopher Columbus. In fact, the word for India is incorporated into the name for a turkey in many languages, including Polish, Russian and French.

In Portuguese they call the bird a “Peru”, after the country. In Malay and Indonesian the word is “ayam belanda”, which translates as “Dutch chicken”.

Even though they don’t fly well, turkeys are apparently very well-travelled.

3 Likes

“As God is my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly.” Arthur Carleson

7 Likes

[quote=“ExquisUte, post:2, topic:7929”]
The Turks call the bird a “Hindi” because it was believed that they were coming from India, thanks to that genius Christopher Columbus.[/quote]

Tell me again how we created a national holiday for a guy whose navigational skills were off by over 10,000 miles?

Besides the misnaming of an entire continent of people, he was a terrible person, too.

8 Likes
5 Likes

shouldn’t Utah County be on that list ?

Figuratively, yes.

1 Like

Utah County has had more turkeys versus people forever. The highest density of turkeys of anywhere in the entire freaking world!

…Jive Turkeys that is. :joy::joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

So Jonathan was crawling around on 1832. Amazing.

1 Like

Jonathan is at least 190 years old. If they are underestimating his age, he could have met Napoleon who died on St. Helena in 1821.

1 Like

I’d love to meet the old fellow and shake his, um, foot.

1 Like

I’ll bet John Coffey infused him with life when he was trekking around the world…only Coffey died in Louisiana at Cold Mountain Penitentiary. :wink:

#GreenMile

1 Like

I am sure glad we don’t play in Laramie any longer. Cheyenne and Laramie are just an hour apart.

2 Likes

Yes, and those temperatures wreak havoc with the urine bombs.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Front Range. Had stuff like that happen in Colorado Springs too.

1 Like