Speedy Gonzalez

I grew up watching Speedy Gonzalez cartoons and thought he was great–he always made a fool of poor Sylvester the Cat, another of my favorite Loony Tunes characters. As I got older, and especially after 2 years in Central America as a missionary, I became uncomfortable with the little guy. Then all my adult life I lived in LA., surrounded by the diversity of Hispanic culture, which I love. Speedy became an artifact of my childhood that seemed silly, outdated, and understandably offensive. So I never even discussed Speedy with my Latino friends. Then I saw this piece this morning, which fascinates me. I had no idea.

Funny, I’m from El Paso. I grew up on the East Bench of WHITE bread Sandy speaking Spanish. Strangely, when we’d go visit family in El Paso, it like we never left. My grand parent neighbors, aside from 1 or 2 families were Mexican. I think I heard more Spanish than English in that part of El Paso. Then my early work life I had to speak Spanish because of the number of customers or employees who didn’t speak Spanish. I was invited to their houses to hang out or watch Julio Cesar Chavez fight. Never did I hear any of them talk badly about Speedy. Their kids had Speedy gear, you know how kids are.

IMO it’s the WOKOSOs who are the problem, as the article intimated. If those who are supposed to be offended are not, then STHU and leave them be. Sorry, this really is a bothersome issue, the wokoso. It’d be too easy to dive into politics, so I’ll just stop.

Speedy was quite clever and always got the better of Sylvester (who whether facing Speedy, Tweety Bird, or a kangaroo, always lost).

Here is the problem as I see it. The NCAA tournament starts today and we have a thread about Speedy Gonzalez. This really shows the state of our basketball program.

7 Likes

At least it’s not about Pepé Le Pew.

¡Arriba! ¡Arriba! ¡Ándale!

I always kind of saw Majerus’s teams as like Speedy. Not “fast” speedy, but almost always thwarting the efforts of a big dumb cat. (And you know who the cat was.)

1 Like

Perhaps we can get @sancho to add Speedy to the first tier on his coaching candidate list.

I will happily add him ahead of Randy Bennett.

1 Like

Uh, who is the cat? Not Kentucky. Roger Reid? Moose Stubbing?

The BYU Cougars. I did say “almost always.”