Some good news...Utah Softball

Now has its most PAC 12 wins since joining the conference at 14. Utah is now ranked 19th and just beat Oregon for the first time. Utah has won the series by winning its first two games against Oregon…3rd is tomorrow.

Nice!

The womens hoops and softball teams exemplify the traditional college sports ethos, IMO. Mostly underattended, they don’t care. Generate your own enthusiasm, play and support your teammates, enjoy the experience and work hard on the academics. Easy to like.

One lazy Sunday on the couch I happened upon a Lady Utes softball game and was a little surprised to find I really got into it.

(Honestly, for a moment I was starting to feel just a little “weird” about this development… until the camera found Eric Weddle hanging out with his fam in the outfield.)

Before anyone thinks I’ve become a devotee of womens softball, if it’s not the Lady Utes I surf on past… or muster the energy to engage with the damn lawn mower.

6 Likes

Pull out the broom…the softball team got the sweep…on the ROAD!

7 Likes

And Utah is in the inaugural PAC 12 tournament championship! The Utes beat Washington, #2 seed, 8 - 4. Will play the winner of Stanford and UCLA.

9 Likes

Utes beat UCLA . Another Ute team wins a PAC12 title.

10 Likes

Awesome! I hope that there will be NCAA games in SLC.

5 Likes

Such a fantastic win for the Utes, especially after being swept by the Bruins just 2 weeks ago.

5 Likes

Oh, beating a 5th ranked team and then a 2nd ranked team back-2-back ain’t no joke.

8 Likes

8 Likes

Does that make seven championships this year? Football, women’s basketball, men’s tennis, softball, lacrosse, skiing, gymnastics. Any I’m missing? A great year for Utah athletics

8 Likes

Here’s a 24-min highlights video, fwiw. Just a fantastic game.

6 Likes

Thanks for posting the highlights.

In the 6th with a huge double to the gap, then to follow-up with a massive homerun to straight away center. Lopez with 131 pitches!!

Woo!

4 Likes

Hopefully their massive wins over Washington and UCLA on consecutive nights plus the autobid are good enough to land Utah one of the 16 coveted national seeds. If they do, they will get to host a regional in Salt Lake.

3 Likes

I’ve rewatched this several times hehe

2 Likes

Only if they land a National Seed. I’ve seen two different websites now where they’re projected to get the #16 Seed.

3 Likes

This is what you do when you’re a champion.

https://twitter.com/Utah_Softball/status/1657642165483491328?s=20

4 Likes

15th seed! I’m going! Having Baylor, which was ranked #16 last week, is a tough draw. Hey, at least we’ll be at home.

https://twitter.com/NCAASoftball/status/1657893207873576960

4 Likes

And if they make it out of the regional, likely #2 UCLA again … tough road, but gotta beat the best to be the best

5 Likes

That was an awesome highlight. Thanks for posting this.

2 Likes

Just hopefully a bit later than sooner, yes?

3 Likes