Rising's injury worse than everyone thought

6 Likes

Many ACL tears involve secondary or tertiary structures. One has to essentially dislocate the knee to rupture a ligament as thick as a finger.
It’s not just explosive start/stop and juking the oponent. It’s the contact and limb twisting by a massive and aggresive defensive player.
He may indeed play, but it should always be an informed decision by the patient with their medical team.
We all want the best for these guys.

6 Likes

Sports Illustrated lays a couple of hard hits on the Ute program.

Utah Football Played Themselves With Cam Rising Injury Charade

The manner in which Utah football dealt with Cam Rising’s injury only led to false hope and disappointment for Utes fans…

Should Utah Utes Have Brought In A Transfer QB This Offseason?

Utah starting quarterback Cameron Rising has yet to suit up for his Utes this season, leaving them in the hands of Bryson Barnes and Nate Johnson. But would Utah have been better off with another starter, perhaps from the transfer portal?

Hate to say the articles are a “Whateverburger” because they are.

You play the cards you have. I get the frustration with the lack of transparency in the process; but until there is an NCAA injury report required like the one in the NFL (and even that one gets gamed) it is what it is. I am a bit surprised it hasn’t happened yet with all the money from gambling laundering its way through Sports TV’s coffers. It’s got to be playing fits with setting the betting lines.

7 Likes

Let’s do a little exposé here.

The first article is written by the manager of “CardinalCountry.com”. A Stanford fan website. He doesn’t work for Sports Illustrated.

The second author, Matt Guzman, does not write for Sports Illustrated.

He writes for SI Fan Nation.

Matt is a 19 year old journalism student who is a sophomore in college.

His suggestion Utah could have brought in a transfer is so off base. Josh Newman addressed this yesterday:

6 Likes

Thanks. I just see stuff and pass it on.

I am not persuaded, by the way, by Neumann’s conclusion:

My take: Utah does its best to insulate everything related to injuries, but that goes double when its two of your most-important, most-visible players. You’re not being gaslit. Maybe you’re being led astray a bit, but even that’s a stretch. Welcome to college athletics, where protecting injury news is sometimes akin to protecting the nuclear codes.

“Maybe you’re being led astray a bit.” C’mon, Josh.

1 Like

I think it wasn’t anyone leading anyone astray, but rather the uniqueness of having this not be an Utah doctor.

3 Likes

I do think we were all misled, unintentionally, I believe. We haven’t heard the end of this, unfortunately.

3 Likes

I’m gonna get slammed for this. Cam knew and he chose to take a substantial NIL payout. That payout comes at the expense of other players. There is one pie. He took a huge slice knowing the chances for recovery from his injuries is statistically slim.

Kyle and company were complicit, obfuscating the severity of his injuries.

I agree with LA, we haven’t heard the end of this.

3 Likes

When I saw Cam get injured during the Rose Bowl I immediately thought that was the end of his Utah career. I was shocked to hear that he would return and even more surprised that he was expected to start the season.

I don’t understand the culture of not discussing injuries. It leads to more speculation and frustration. I get you want to play some things close to gain an edge but the Rising situation is absurd. ACL or more statistically there was a low chance he would be back in time to start the season.

While I would love to see Cam suit up, I hope he only comes back if he is actually ready and cleared. He is a young man with a long life ahead of him, don’t ruin your life. I’m sure Cam has a great NIL deal and good for him. Thanks for coming clean Cam, take your money and run, live your life.

What happened to Rose? Is he out for the season? Is he expected back next week? I realize the portal isn’t a guarantee but there were a lot of high quality QBs that transferred this past off-season. I personally believe the team should have gone after a P5 QB transfer, if for nothing else another option. FR/RSFR are a total gamble and we are living through that.

2 Likes

I think a big part of how we got here is how impressively Cam recovered from the 2020 injury against USC.

We brought in an experienced gun slinger who was Baylor’s 2nd most productive QB in their history, though the competition in the '21 camp was much closer than anyone thought it would be because Cam heals fast!

Fast forward - hope & assumptions Cam would be back sooner, this year. That sandcastle took a wave first in the Thursday before the UCLA game, and then at Corvallis it was finished off.

A healthy Cam is a better QB than a freshman Nate, no question. But Cam’s interview with Riley is the first serious peek into the situation suggesting healthy Cam ain’t coming back, at least for a while, if ever, at the U.

Time to turn the page and forget the splitting reps in practice idea, fully invest in Nate, fully invest in each other on the offense, and everyone needs to realize this offense won’t be an aerial circus, will struggle coming back from two-digit deficits, so it has to be dialed back on risk to avoid putting the D in a bad spot & creating big deficits.

Andy needs to dip into his playbook and find lower risk plays that are creative enough to generate enough offense to win. (Easier said than done. Glad Andy has 500 plays.) And the OL, WRs, TEs, RBs… they all need to know the '22 version of Cam isn’t here. There are still big plays that need to be made in the throw game. It just won’t be like Cam making it look easy, play after play.

There’s a ton left to play for, even with a young QB this offense could generate some swagger of its own, but we won’t see that until everyone acknowledges what’s not going to happen.

12 Likes

Im not sure anyone is at fault.

• I’m confident Cam thought he could come back sooner. I sense he’s as frustrated as anyone.

• Cams surgeon has zero interest in Utah football. His focus is on Cams future.

• Whitt has claimed this is new territory for him having never dealt with an outside doctor regarding a players injury and when he’s eligible to play. I’m guessing, but if Cam didnt have a doctor outside the program I suspect he’d already have played.

• I wouldnt be shocked if Cam plays against CAL. I also wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt play this year.

5 Likes

I get what you’re saying, and I’m in the same position.

But the uncertainty is an enormous problem, all the offense - probably the defense, too - are on a Yo-Yo.

The UCLA game was a win, but it was costly. The Bruins had 14 possessions, which is a TON, and the defense rose to the occasion just about every time, with the 4th quarter seeing a little bit of letdown. A week later, Utes down 0-7 starting the third, OSU’s Bolden does a Brandin Cooks impersonation and the wheels started coming off for the D. Everything went sour.

I think Whitt needs to take control of the situation and play the QB you want to see develop into a good QB*. If something changes you can re-evaluate, but the uncertainty is corrosive, for a sport that requires very high levels of effort and team cohesion.

[*In Week 1 Florida State beat #5 LSU 45-24 with a senior QB who had been booed as a Freshman. I remember when Brian Johnson got the “well, he ain’t Alex Smith!” reaction in 2005, but eventually led us to the Sugar Bowl win. These guys aren’t exactly pulled off the shelf, even when somebody like Cam makes it look easy.]

8 Likes

Perhaps I’m very much in the minority but I really don’t care much at all for the non-stop speculation about who is playing when and whether the coaches “managed” this or that well or not. I simply don’t care about this stuff because no one who isn’t in the room day to day knows anything. It’s all speculation. I only care about when the team takes the field. If some players can’t play for a while then I’m very much in the camp of next man up! All this blah blah blah is like a bunch of old ladies gossiping at the grocery store. You sound ridiculous.

11 Likes

I’d love to discuss football with a bunch of old ladies.

2 Likes
1 Like

Nah. We’re just being sports fans.

3 Likes

Snip from The Athletic article:

2 Likes

Yup…the other site is losing its collective mind over this and thinks Whit is incompetent.

Meh

3 Likes

Whit is incompetent? What is the other site? What a bunch of maroons.

4 Likes