RIP, P.J. O'Rourke

Some of his more famous quotes:

I have a 10 year old at home, and she is always saying, ‘That’s not fair.’ When she says that, I say, "Honey, you’re cute; that’s not fair. Your family is pretty well off; that’s not fair. You were born in America; that’s not fair. Honey, you had better pray to God that things don’t start getting fair for you.

Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we’re looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn’t test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.

When you think of the good old days, think dentistry.

I had read four of his books back in the late 80’s and early 90’s, Republican Party Reptile, Parliament of Whores, Give War a Chance, and Holidays in Hell. Didn’t stop me from becoming an inveterate liberal. Though I enjoyed all four.

I have a friend who is is very funny in writing, but not so much in person, I always thought that way about O’Rourke. He never presented well when he was on various programs but I enjoyed the raconteur nature of his books.

3 Likes

Some of his pieces in National Lampoon were absolutely hysterical. Not even close to being politically correct, but funny as hell (IMHO)

3 Likes

Like, “How to Drive Fast on Drugs While Getting Your Yingyang Squeezed”?

2 Likes

Unwanted Foreigners Around the World. Horribly, horribly politically incorrect, but some of it was hysterical. Example: “Canadians are hard to distinguish from regular boring white people unless they’re dressed up to go out of doors.”

1 Like

Ah, yes. Proper form of address of an Australian: “Stand back! I’ve got a gun!”

1 Like

One of my favorites:

“But the English are getting their comeuppance, world power wise, as their antiquated little back alley of a country slowly winds down like the ill-crafted clockwork playthings that their undersized children are so fond of”