Questions for Thomas Yassmin

Hey Everyone!

We’re having Thomas Yassmin interviewed by Jack Bouwmeester this Thursday and I’m wondering if anyone here has any questions for him! We’re excited about this segment and would love the support of our message board posters!

Is Foster’s Beer considered a joke in Australia?

4 Likes

What foods do you miss having being so far away from home?

3 Likes

Along the food theme, Do you like Vegemite sandwiches?

3 Likes

How did they get noticed by Utah recruiters? Previous Aussie players, or…?

Have either of them met Andrew Bogut or Sam Kerr?

4 Likes

Do their friends back home think they’re crazy for coming to the States to play American football?

Have any Americans gone to play Auzzie football?

Do Americans ever think they’re from England with their accent?

Why do Australians make fun of Tasmania?

Have they mastered Chat GPT for writing assignments yet? (5th Amendment response is appropriate)

Has Thomas chatted with Mikey Matthews about rugby? (Mathews’ brother is a pro rugby player)

EDIT - are helmets safer or not?

3 Likes

60 Minutes ran a story about a former Oklahoma St. basketball player that is a Aussie rules phenom now. Brutal game.

What do they think of Men At Work?

What do they think of American “Sheila’s?”

What’s a typical America wrong move in Australia? What do they think of America now they are here?

Who would win in a fight Crocodile Dundee or Chuck Noris?

1 Like

Chuck Norris is not afraid of the dark. The Dark is afraid of Chuck Norris. :wink:

Fun fact: Colin Hay, the brains behind Men at Work, is actually Scottish.

3 Likes

I’ll answer that one. Yes it is. Just like Primo beer in Hawaii. I was talking to a cop outside the World Cup venue last month in Sydney and he said" all you Americans think we drink Fosters but its ■■■■■■

3 Likes

Do Aussies think it’s funny he’s a Ute when in Aus, a Ute is a nickname for an SUV?

1 Like

Walk us through a couple plays last year where you bulled someone over and got a ton of YAC and/or TD. Coming from Rugby, would he rather hurdle or plow into someone?

2 Likes

Yes, they can’t figure out why Americans think it is good.

I had an Australian think I was British when I visited Down Under. I was kind of confused by that, to be honest - my generic western American dialect seems pretty accent-neutral to me.

5 Likes

I’ve contemplated what my accent is or what it would sound like to someone from Britain, or Australia, the Southeast U.S., etc., seeing that I and most of the people I converse with don’t seem to have an accent that I can discern, as you state, neutral. Maybe they would think I have just a touch of California surfer dude sound and vocabulary.

1 Like

English accents are fascinating. Maybe 2 or 3 Billion speak English, but the number who speak it as their first language is much smaller.

Auzzies and Kiwis are similar, to me. English South Africans are in the same neighborhood.

North Americans are similar, but we can tell a Canuck after a minute.

Caribbean English is charming.

The UK is so varied, but easy to pick out. Scots are fun, the Irish are sing-songy.

Of the 2nd language nations, the call centers, I think the Philippines have passed the Indians, but both can be so good you can’t tell where they’re from.

True story: I worked with a Jamaican who was from the countryside, who was on the phones here in SLC. She regularly had callers think she was Irish, a sing-songy accent. We used to tease her that she needed more of the Bob Marley mumbles.

1 Like