Public Art & Such, Starting with the 9th S & 11th E Whale

Yesterday I was leaving our rental property on the 700 S block of 1100 E and looking south as I drove I could see the whale. It’s cool.

2 Likes

Every great city needs one piece of “what the f?” Sculpture/statute. I guess this is ours.

1 Like

900 South is being rebuilt further west, that may be part of it.

1 Like

Your posting the catalog of public art kind of makes my point. I know many of the pieces in the catalog because I happen to really like art. But how many of those pieces are widely known or discussed by the general public? How many even know that we have that many pieces in the community? Outside of art enthusiasts how many actually care? There are a lot of cool pieces in this area but most are not that memorable or really stand out. For that reason I think the whale was a great choice. It certainly has created a buzz even if I personally don’t like it that much.

We saw that teflon flags last night coming out of Eccles theater. I didnt know what it was, but thought it looked cool Certainly a million times better than the side of the parking garage behind it. Nice public space next to the theater.

So when do we get the giant brine shrimp? :wink:

As a side note…

For the record, those dried up flats that used to be the lake need to be left undisturbed. The reason is the brine shrimp’s eggs that were deposited there before the lake dried up can lay dormant for decades awaiting water to then develop and hatch. Idiots driving vehicles and heavy equipment on the lakebed will destroy those eggs.

2 Likes

Saw this in a park in Austria. Loved it. The world needs whimsy.

5 Likes

Whimsy…does it come with beer? :joy::beer::beer:

1 Like

This is Austrian white wine country. It did, however come with surprise, and free, mimosas.

1 Like