Public Art & Such, Starting with the 9th S & 11th E Whale

Just read that article. What are your thoughts on its orientation? One of the people in the article likes it, but thought its orientation should be turned 90 deg.

1 Like

I thought that was a crazy complaint. Seemed selfish.

2 Likes

That’s things so ugly and out of place that it just might work.

It should’ve been a giant brine shrimp. :wink::wink::wink:

3 Likes

I drove by while some maintenance guys were inside the whale, via a maintenance door.

Which brings up visions of teenagers getting high and then going inside.

“Dude… we’re inside of a whale! Wait… is your name Jonah? This is all so, so… amazing!”

7 Likes

Instead of “amazing,” wouldn’t that be the sh*ts, rad, tubular, far out, cosmic or whatever kids are saying these days?

1 Like

In honor of the Saltair FC Fightin’ Brine?

2 Likes

Sick.

1 Like

“The Brine Shrimp that Ate SLC”

1 Like

I like it a lot. It is whimsical and fun and brightens the area. Concistsnt with the personality of the 9th and 9th area. That it elicits a response of “huh” is part of the point.

2 Likes

We haven’t?

Like I said before, it should’ve been the giant Brine Shrimp that Ate SLC. :wink:

Hmmm. Reminds me of when the full-sized steer was removed from the roof at Murray’s Meat Market

and placed on the center island of Foothill Drive near the Foothill Village Mall.
I may or may not know who did it.

3 Likes

He Rocker–the Whale now has its own twitter account, and has more than 1500 followers. You can take up your complaints directly.

https://twitter.com/9thand9thwhale

2 Likes

Rocker - hmm…

1 Like

Some thoughts:

1. Those of us who are incapable of tolerating anything that isn’t a right angle would appreciate it more.

2. Geez, I know I haven’t lived in SLC for over twenty years now, but that 9th and 9th sure looks different, even without the whale.

3. What’s up with the traffic jam going west on 9th South?

4. Just the mere fact that there is even a little bit of public art (bad or not) in the City shows how much things have changed.

1 Like

Just drove past a little while ago and there is no couch there. There are still a few garden gnomes. I’m not sure how that means it’s not interesting public art. And if people can’t tell it’s a big whale when driving by then they are ignorant, obtuse, or lack basic observation skills. While it’s not everyone’s cup of tea it’s definitely unique and memorable. Most other public art is staid, ordinary and forgettable. Yes that includes the rather pedestrian Spiral Jetty and that “tree” thing out on the way to Wendover. Yawn.

2 Likes

The whale is made of metal.

I admit I was wrong about it being metal. I go past it everyday and saw them welding on more than one occasion which led to my error.

I’m not a huge fan of the piece but I very much appreciate that finally there is something that is unusual and a conversation piece. Goodness knows there are more than enough murals, statues of people, and various types of pillars which are all rather forgettable and few really stand out. I’m glad that there is something that people are talking about and it’s making news all over the place. Maybe the novelty will wear off with time but at least it’s something interesting for now.

Yesterday I was leaving our rental property on the 700 S block of 1100 E and looking south as I drove I could see the whale. It’s cool.

2 Likes