Proposed major change to the transfer rule: One penalty-free transfer for everyone

I’m not sure what to think about this proposal. It might turn the lower-level programs into farm teams for the bluebloods. Utah would benefit to some extent because we are a P5 school, but…

What does everyone else think?

Why not? Prevents hoarding of players.

Recruits typically pick legacy first, then realize the importance of playing time. Utah should benefit.

2 Likes

Your “hoarding” point is well taken. You remind me of the PAC-12 Network’s Yogi Roth (I think) who was an assistant at USC 10 years ago. He told Bill Riley that if USC saw a very good player that they planned to pass on, but who was drawing significant interest from other PAC-12 schools, they’d give the guy a scholarship just to keep him away from their competition. This change would make that tactic impossible.

3 Likes

Well spake!
Love to find out it’s true.
I do think player turnover is something - if cultivated appropriately - is probably the single best thing towards team development and performance.

1 Like

I think it is probably the right thing to do and inevitable, but I am not sure it is the best thing for schools or for students. As we have seen with the portal, some students have traded a scholarship for a place on the outside looking in. I think that will likely increase once this rule takes effect. As for the schools, I imagine that there will be times where a school develops a player and after a couple of years that player decides he should try a bigger stage. While the change might help Utah in some respects, we should not be surprised when a player from the LA area who dreamed of a USC or UCLA offer that never materialized develops into a star at Utah and then decides to play his last two years closer to home. I did not read the Trib story, but I did read elsewhere that to help schools manage the impact of transfers in football they will change the rule limiting initials to 25 per year to 50 every two years with a maximum of 30 in any single year.

1 Like

Hell, I’d LOVE a penalty-free transfer… even if I only get one!

1 Like

NCAA to Adopt Rule Change to Allow Unlimited Transfers, Immediate Eligibility | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

1 Like

I thought we were pretty much there already.

Next will see players transferring in the middle of the season and playing immediately for their new team.

3 Likes

I prefer that the student athlete be granted the ability to move around as much as they desire.

What is driving this? Any idea? Somewhere, a large group of decision-makers are proposing this, or think it’s a great idea, or think it’s necessary, or all of the above. It seems insane to me.

2 Likes

A level of delusion that makes insanity look sane. Add to it the “Stupid Money” being thrown around by the collectives and there you have it - the circus has come to town.

The “academic progression” rule will be thrown out by the courts next.

4 Likes

I like the old Robin Williams idea of politicians wearing NASCAR like uniforms that have patches of the corporations that have paid them.

As NIL gets out of hand… why not do that for college athletes?

It would help make scouting opponents a little quicker - “That guy has 10 patches!

6 Likes

We recently spent a week in Mexico and my friend, who has a home there, commented about payoffs to local politicians to allow certain real estate developments move forward. It did not surprise me but then I thought, is politics in the US any different. Although they might try to do it more tastefully then elsewhere, it is absolutely no different on the local, State or Federal level. They are all bought and paid for. I would welcome the NASCAR patches.

3 Likes

[quote=“Greginslc, post:11, topic:3174”]

The “academic progression” rule will be thrown out by the courts next.

[/quote]. I fear you are right. I don't understand why the NCAA makes rules that apply directly to the athlete. Make a rule that prohibits member schools from admitting athletes who are not making "academic progression". I'm sure that would be challenged as well.
2 Likes

No difference.

btw…are discussions around the topic of integrity, honesty, character, etc., considered “political” here?

Not that I really want to discuss those elements here, but am curious.

The Governor of Virginia has just signed a law that prevents the NCAA from preventing universities from paying players directly for NIL.

Everything is political.

Everything has become political it seems.

1 Like

For some that’s very true. Every tiny thing becomes a big political deal.