PAC 12 week 1 lines

Utah -33.5 vs Weber St. (Utes win but do not cover)
ASU -45.5 vs SUU (ASU covers because Herm is a dick)
CU - 35.5 vs. No. Colorado (CU wins but doesn’t cover)
KSU -2.5 vs Stanford (Stanford with the upset)
Oregon -20.5 vs Fresno St. (Oregon covers)
USC -14 vs SJSU (USC covers)
Purdue -7 vs Oregon St. (OSU loses)
UCLA +3 vs LSU (UCLA loses)
Cal -3 vs Nevada (Cal covers)
BYU -12.5 vs Arizona (Arizona loses)
WSU -17 vs USU (WSU wins but doesn’t cover)

Interesting line in the UCLA game. I honestly have no idea what to expect from them. It would be nice if either Stanford or Oregon St. could break through with wins on the road. I expect Utah, ASU, CU, Oregon and USC to have comfortable victories. Credibility is on the line for Cal and WSU. I suspect BYU covers.

I think that line says more about expectations around Arizona than around BYU. Nobody expects Zona to be good in any way.

2 Likes

I’ve read Arizona has some experienced coaches who should know how to put together a team, but they’re brand new, the cupboard is pretty bare, they’re going to platoon QBs against BYU.

My hope is Arizona plays well enough to force BYU to show more than they’d like in Game 1. But we know Roderick & their personnel pretty well, anyway.

4 Likes

Based on talent alone, the Wildcats have a shot to beat BYU. The question is if transition pains get in the way of it.

The truth is BYU lost some key pieces from their cupcake run of a season last year. Reloading in their case is not necessarily that easy.

The game should be a dogfight to the end. Don’t expect a blowout either way.

3 Likes

New scheme, new coaching = AZ will play slower than their talent.

I really hope for a competitive game - so we’ll see more of what Roderick & Lamb have in their playbooks for the year - but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Cougs look pretty good against U of A.

They’re pumped, they want to have a great audition for the P5, etc. But I agree they’ve dropped off, no way to be equivalent at QB against non-G5 talent.

1 Like

It seems like the talent on last season’s byu team is a once in a generation situation for Provo. Here’s hoping U of A beats them, but Arizona is just bad right now so coogs squeak out a win.

1 Like

I think it was also a once in a generation schedule. After that season, every team in football should be trying to dumb down their schedule as much as possible. People were drooling all over BYU’s wins against really bad teams. If you can make it to the cusp of playoff conversation with that schedule, why should anyone schedule anything else?

6 Likes

They were? I don’t remember them (or coastal Carolina) much above 15 or so.

1 Like

I read multiple articles talking about their playoff chances, and not all from Dick Harmon either.

What articles and what team are you talking about?

1 Like

Bill Connelly using his data has UCLA pulling the upset in week 1. I wouldn’t be shocked. Oregon State vs Purdue also looks interesting in another P5 game.

What is the over/under for pepperoni pizza from the Pie for the tailgate…or minestrone soup?

1 Like

I will be surprised if this happens. UCLA hasn’t been good in forever, and LSU is full of five star players.

1 Like

LSU sucked last year. Worst returning champ ever. Now, they are 5th in 247 talent composite to UCLA’s 23rd. LSU on the road with Coach O vs Chip Kelly. I think it could be interesting.

I’m more willing to believe that LSU’s bad season was a blip than I am willing to believe that UCLA’s bad 20 years is coming to and end. But maybe. You never know. They do have the talent.

I just hope that UCLA beats LSU, and then we kill UCLA.

2 Likes

I think that could happen.

I’m really thinking the Pac can change the narrative winning 70% of these games:
Cal at TCU
Oregon at Ohio State
Oregon State at Purdue
Stanford home vs K State
Stanford at Vanderbilt
Washington at Michigan
Arizona home vs BYU
Arizona State at BYU
Colorado home vs Texas A&M
Colorado home vs Minnesota
UCLA home vs LSU
SC at Notre Dame
SC home vs BYU
Utah at BYU

9 to 10 wins make the Pac 12 back to where they belong IMHO. This season I think OOC matters more than it has in 10 years due to the conference shake-ups.

Pac-12 football preview: Breaking down the quarterback comfort levels for each team

By Jon Wilner | Bay Area News Group

At the dawn of the 2021 season, the state of quarterback play in the Pac-12 appears fragile.

If a handful of veterans elevate their performance — USC’s Kedon Slovis, UCLA’s Dorian Thompson-Robinson and ASU’s Jayden Daniels, to name three — then the collective output should approach the standard set in previous years.

If their inconsistency continues and none of the touted newcomers emerge, this could be the worst season for quarterbacks the Pac-12 has experienced in eons.

Welcome to the final, murkiest installment in our series previewing the 2021 Pac-12 season.

We delayed publication of the Quarterback Comfort Quotient (QBCQ) rankings to this point in order to create maximum clarity. And still, so many teams have so much to resolve.

As always, the QBCQ takes into account the quality of the starter and the experience and talent possessed by the top reserves. After all, the backup quarterback is the least important player on the roster until he’s the most important.

The teams that grade out favorably in this exercise have high-level starters and experienced backups.

One without the other is suboptimal.

Here we go …

1. UTAH

Starter: Charlie Brewer

Backups: Cameron Rising, Ja’Quinden Jackson, Peter Costelli

Comment: Rising started the opener for the Utes last year but was injured early and missed the rest of the season (and spring practice). Brewer, who threw 65 touchdowns in the Big 12 (for Baylor), excelled in the spring and beat out Rising for the job in training camp. That tells us the Utes are in good shape in both QBCQ categories: the quality of the starter and the caliber of the backup.

2. OREGON STATE

Starter: Sam Noyer

Backups: Chance Nolan, Tristan Gebbia (injured)

Comment: The Beavers announced Noyer as the starter on Monday but left open the possibility that the dynamic could change when Gebbia recovers from lingering hamstring issues. At that point, OSU will be the only team with two 2020 Pac-12 starters on the roster: Gebbia ran the offense in Corvallis while Noyer started for Colorado — and was named second-team all-conference.

3. WASHINGTON

Starter: Dylan Morris

Backups: Sam Huard, Patrick O’Brien

Comment: Morris showed promise in 2020 but the sample size was small (four starts, all at home). However, there are quality options with a five-star talent (Huard) and a former Mountain West starter. (O’Brien had 400-plus attempts at Colorado State). Washington might not have the best starter or second-stringer, but it goes three-deep as well as anyone.

4. USC

Starter: Kedon Slovis

Backups: Jaxson Dart, Miller Moss

Comment: No better example of QBCQ extremes than USC, where the starter could be one of the top players in the country but the backups are first-year freshmen. The Trojans would be a spot or two higher but for two issues: Slovis struggled last year; and his skinny frame will endure considerable punishment standing in the pocket 40-plus times per game.

5. OREGON

Starter: Anthony Brown

Backups: Ty Thompson, Jay Butterfield, Robby Ashford

Comment: Brown took control of the job in spring practice and became the official starter a few days ago. There are talented but inexperienced options behind him in Thompson and Butterfield, so we don’t expect a long leash. But the Ducks would be better off with Brown, a former starter at Boston College, leading them onto the field at Ohio State next week. Which means he needs to show well in the opener.

6. ARIZONA STATE

Starter: Jayden Daniels

Backups: Trenton Bourguet and Daylin McLemore

Comment: The Sun Devils have a returning starter with something to prove as a pocket passer and two backups with everything to prove. But we expect a stellar season from Daniels; otherwise, ASU would be much further down the list. Bourguet has two career attempts; McLemore has none. If Daniels gets hurt, the situation turns dicey.

7. UCLA

Starter: Dorian Thompson-Robinson

Backups: Ethan Garbers, Chase Griffin

Comment: The range of possibilities for quarterback production is wide in Westwood. Will Thompson-Robinson’s inconsistency continue — he wasn’t sharp against Hawaii — or will he mature into an elite passer and lead UCLA to a first-rate season? Garbers has talent but not much experience; Griffin played last year and is a solid third option.

8. CAL

Starter: Chase Garbers

Backups: Zach Johnson, Kai Millner, Ryan Glover

Comment: Were this a list of the least interesting quarterback situations, Cal would join ASU at the top. Garbers has been the unquestioned starter all along and doesn’t have a hot-shot newcomer attempting to disrupt the status quo. Johnson and Millner are rookies, while Glover is an FCS transfer from Penn and Western Carolina.

9. WASHINGTON STATE

Projected starter: Jayden de Laura

Backups: Jarrett Guarantano, Cammon Cooper, Victor Gabalis

Comment: de Laura and Guarantano engaged in a tight competition throughout training camp, and coach Nick Rolovich might not publicly disclose his decision ahead of kickoff against Utah State. (Hence the use of “projected” starter.) WSU could have a far better situation than this ranking indicates, but we simply haven’t seen enough from either candidate.

10. COLORADO

Starter: Brendon Lewis

Backups: Drew Carter, Jordan Woolverton, JT Shrout (injured)

Comment: When we published the initial QBCQ rankings many months ago, Colorado had three options with Lewis, 2020 starter Sam Noyer and Shrout, the Tennessee transfer. Then Noyer left for Oregon State and Shrout injured his knee, leaving only Lewis, whose lone appearance last year came in the Alamo Bowl. And behind him, there’s zero experience.

11. STANFORD

Projected starter: Tanner McKee

Backups: Jack West, Isaiah Sanders

Comment: The depth chart released this week lists McKee “or” West as the starter. We suspect the decision has been made — there’s no reason to inform Kansas State — and believe both will play. West has more experience, but McKee is the more talented passer. This feels like a competition that won’t be settled for several weeks.

12. ARIZONA

Starter: Gunner Cruz

Top backups: Will Plummer and Jordan McCloud

Comment: Coach Jedd Fisch announced two quarterbacks, Plummer and Cruz, will play in the opener against BYU. That isn’t a good sign given the level of inexperience — ideally, one candidate would have separated. Don’t discount the potential for McCloud, a former FBS starter (South Florida), to eventually emerge after he learns the offense.

This article originally appeared on Pac-12 Hotline .

– Jon Wilner: jwilner@bayareanewsgroup.com. Wilner has been covering college sports for decades and is an AP top-25 football and basketball voter as well as a Heisman Trophy voter. He was named Beat Writer of the Year in 2013 by the Football Writers Association of America for his coverage of the Pac-12, won first place for feature writing in 2016 in the Associated Press Sports Editors writing contest and is a five-time APSE honoree.

I agree with Uteopia that Utah -33.5 is too large a spread, especially with the O-Line issues for this week and Whitt coaching against a former assistant.