Pac 12 heading to Apple?

We’re not BYU. N.C.s, Rose Bowl (wins), Heisman Trophies, and stock buybacks make us “giddy.”

FTFO!

Stock buybacks? You have more in common with byu than you thought.

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1632949629833695234?t=cI4oY7SVMbNQdV1ld_XO7A&s=19

Is this the same board that hired and extended Larry Scott?

Not anymore iirc. I think the last of those guys were at USC and ASU.

2 Likes

There have been a lot of changes to the PAC 12 President’s Board over the last decade. Hell, we’ve had 3 different University Presidents serve Utah over our time in the PAC 12 already. The board approving the media rights package is going to see a lot of new faces. It is not a worry.

The University of Colorado Board holding a closed session to discuss the package is normal governmental procedure in this case. Just like Utah, their State’s Transparency laws require the posting of the notice; and just like Utah’s law, contract matters are a reason to close the meeting to the public.

So the tweet is a red herring, and the idiot who posted it should know good and damned well he was posting unnecessary nonsense.

4 Likes

There is a paywall to deal with, but a pretty fair article on the current situation.

My favorite part: “USC in particular was not feeling like letting it’s massive football brand be used to dole out charity payments to the rest of the programs any longer.”

FTFO!

2 Likes

From a Program that hasn’t won a bowl game since The Obama Administration.

10 Likes

So what happens when the “Brand” is sent to walk in the wilderness as an Also-Ran in the B1G? At least losing to tOSU and Bitchagain every season, and PSU every other season will be fun. Hope you have your U$C Hawaiian shirts ready for all those road trips. You may not be Hawaii, but your travel itinerary says otherwise. :wink:

6 Likes

That massive brand that lost to Utah twice last year? And then lost to Tulane? That massive brand?

9 Likes

USC has an all-time winning record against Ohio State (12-9), Michigan (6-4), and Penn State (6-4). Not seeing the gloom & doom in that regard.

FTFO!

Please go post this on the OSU or Michigan message boards and report back on how they respond.

I’m sure they will be be grateful that USC came to rescue their conference from impending obscurity.

10 Likes

Isnt USC going to now be doling out charity to Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue and about 8 others?

The worst thing to happen to the PAC12 wasnt Larry Scott, it was USC football going dormant for 15+ years. We thought we were joining a conference with the likes of Alabama, Clemson or Georgia, instead we got a double dose of UCLA football.

15 Likes

Don’t dispute that USC had a fine history at one point…but if I am remembering things correctly, USC hasn’t played either school in like 13+ years? If so, then this starts to sound like 1984 to me. Lets discuss the probably performance over the next 10 years. I’m not seeing any 12-0 or 11-1 seasons coming up for the Trojans in the Big10…kinda like Texas and Ok in the SEC…and UCLA just…makes me chuckle.

13 Likes

USC will be 2nd rate in the B1G. Both in wins and influence. Do they really think they will dictate where they play in November when the weather can be bad? USC never played in SLC, Boulder or even at WSU in November.
Within 10 years they may wish they never left the PAC.

6 Likes

But .500 since 2010 against the Big 1G. Gotta love pulling from those 1960s and 1970s Rose Bowls for a team that hasn’t won a Bowl game in 6 Seasons.

If you combine Coach Riley’s record with SC’s you get a 1-7 post season record on teams with three Heisman Winners. Trojans are back Baby!

9 Likes

gOCG…I like ya.

Using your logic, then Utah fans should continue to brag about its 1998 Final Four appears or NCAA/NIT championships or Sugar Bowl win (a lot still do) – we are in a different era now. Maybe a more appropriate comparison would be TDS’s championship. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wasn’t “bragging.” I was responding to GreginSLC who said we would lose every time we play Ohio State & Michigan, and every other time to Ped State.

And fwiw I don’t want to see the PAC implode. It’s not good for college football to have 95% of all good teams in the mid-west and south.

FTFO!

4 Likes

USC has so many built-in advantages that they will be just fine. It is natural for us Utes to feel scorned and attracted to the notion of Trojan failure but I don’t see it.

Sure they may continue to have mediocrity but a moron could recruit elite talent to USC. Every top-shelf prospect in B1G territory will take a serious look at USC. They can go to glamor town and live in perfect weather and still come play in their home stadiums. I’m sure the NIL $ will be there as well.

It is a bit depressing to point all of this out but starting with elite talent will allow them every opportunity to succeed.

I, for one, am going to miss you bastards.

2 Likes

Agreed regarding SC – it’s not going to fail. UCLA, OTOH, well, not sure about it.

1 Like