Pac 12 heading to Apple?

Ugh.

I refuse to subscribe to yet another streaming service on principle alone.

2 Likes

Although Apple+ seems to be the cheapest, but I hear you. I have the Hulu (no commercial)/Disney/ESPN+ bundle for like $20 which my credit gives something like $7 back, Amazon Prime (more for the 2 day [I mean 5 now]) delivery and doesn’t have much good content after the Expanse was done, still using a family members’ Netflix but that will stop soon when they crack down. Waiting for Ted Lasso S.3 to get back on Apple+ but this cutting the wire now is just a la carte adding up to what it was before (holding off on HBOMax, Paramount, etc.)

1 Like

HBO Max comes with my AT&T Wireless plan.
I have Prime solely for the free shipping (and Legend of Vox Machina is awesome). I sub to Netflix for me and Disney+ for the kids (and my occasional Star Wars fix).

At this point, I barely watch any of them. Too much TV, too little time.

1 Like

Yep. And agree on Vox. That was a good one as well. Content is all right on Prime, but less. Wouldn’t mind if some games ended up there.

1 Like

Please make this happen! Apple TV has had consistently good programming, both TV and films, so we don’t mind the relatively small subscription price (annual subscription is an even better deal). This would be the first time I would have access to the P-12 Sports programming at home. Here’s a “yes” vote.

6 Likes

If this were to happen I would more than offset the Apple TV cost by dropping down a level in Dish and then, after my commitment is done that I signed up for when I moved, I could drop them altogether.

4 Likes

I’m none too thrilled with the idea of Apple TV. Rather use other streaming services, a la Prime. Not even sure I can get Apple TV to stream via my android stuff.

1 Like

Y’all acting like Apple+ doesn’t have some of the best programming. I think this would be a homerun to what the P12 currently has.

I forgot about MLS going there:

You can. I have. It’s so easy a hayseed in Kentucky can do it.

2 Likes

Are you using: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apple.atve.androidtv.appletv&gl=US&pli=1

It doesn’t exactly instill confidence based upon reviews.

1 Like

I did for one thing I had that was android. I do have mainly apple products though so it’s rare I use the android.

1 Like

Whereas we have zero Apple products. I suppose I’ll worry about it more, when and if the PAC uses Apple TV+. In the meantime there’re are other things to spend time on and with.

1 Like

I have a ton of iPads and iPhones around my family. That said, broadcasting sports is different from streaming movies and TV shows. Prime smoked some local ISP’s when TNF started streaming this fall.

I may want to see how the MLS streaming works out before deciding. That said, my personal preference would’ve been Amazon only because they had TNF to work out the kinks. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view) Their retail unit and AWS have taken a pretty big hit lately, so additional startups for CFB may not be in the cards for now.

1 Like

There is no doubt, streaming is the future of entertainment. That said, the future isn’t here yet as the infrastructure serving the worldwide web still has so much of this country that is on inferior service/no service. It is the only reason the rights deal will have a multi-platform service agreement.

1 Like

The Big XII will feature a number of their football/basketball games on ESPN+. I hate to break it to them but that is a streaming service.

I’ll echo what Rocker said earlier. Anyone age 30 or younger likely doesnt have cable and never will.

7 Likes

I get Disney/Hulu/ESPN+, Netflix, NFL, Apple Music, and maybe something else from my Verizon plan. I pay for HBO Max and Paramount+ because I like shows on both (Last of Us is amazing, and I’m a Star Trek nerd, so I need Paramount).

I have the Apple One subscription which includes everything from Apple, so this would be good news for me. I’ve watched a few out-of-market baseball games on Apple, so I know they’ll do a good job.

And Apple TV+ has more than Ted Lasso. There’s some good TV in there.

One thing I do to mitigate costs is to suspend a subscription when there’s nothing I want to watch. But the streaming services are on to those of us who do that by spacing new shows over the whole year. Disney, with Marvel and Star Wars shows, now make it impossible to suspend the subscription, unless you want to wait until they all broadcast, then binge the whole series. :smiley:

2 Likes

where ever we land i hope they do more than just football. I have pac 12 network at work and enjoy the soccer, softball, baseball, volleyball that they show. some at tape delayed. I would hope this would allow for more live events

5 Likes

I wonder if tier 1 games would only be available on apple+ ? or would the best games be on ESPN on Saturday evening? being in pacific time i really like having those great 8 or 9pm pacific start games to watch after the big fowler /herbstreit game ends. When i’m always back home. I would probably activate apple+ for a few months each year to watch those if they’re not on ESPN.

in fact it’s perfect, i already buy at least one apple phone per year and so i can use the 3 months free trial each fall when the new iphones come out in september.

1 Like

Great insight, Rocker.

I’d like to bring up another reason BYU fans are amused and believe nobody has Apple+:

The immortal insights of Hod Sanders about that Utah County phenomenon - the cheap, whiney bastard. Ie, those who don’t know what they don’t know.

10 Likes