PAC 12 Coaching Carousel musings…

…And Heisman wins. :wink:

2 Likes
1 Like

Lane Train would be lights out at Oregon!

Ducks need to be the flashy high octane offense… it’s who they are.

1 Like

Canzano says Oregon was meh on Kalani. I fully expect byu fan boys to spin this that Sitaki turned down the job, byu is a special place, we r the Lords University sort of rhetoric that we’ve come to know

3 Likes

Ouch, was he the diversity check box?

I think they might spin it that he didn’t really want to leave BYU, he was just exploring and trying to get better pay for his assistants and prove he meant it. Or that he was authentic and his message was he finds quality young men and brings them into the family to play hard and that Oregon just didn’t see that as a plan.

Chip interviewed - would be surprised if they didn’t get him. Timing isn’t great because they have to payout $9M before Jan 15th, but Phil might tell them to pull the trigger.

2 Likes

I saw a headline ths morning. The story stuck behind a paywall, that Oregon has the hots for Chip Kelly once again.

The payout is a wash since Cristobal owes UO $9 million for bolting to Miami.

That stated, Chip sucked like a Dyson vacuum in Westwood. He won with Aliotti’s recruits when he was at UO. What makes the Ducks think he will do any better in Eugene now? He doesn’t recruit. He doesn’t work the donors and fans. If UCLA wants to overpay for underperformance, let them.

Smart money at UO would get Wilcox out of Berkeley.

2 Likes

I agree, with Wilcox to UO. Chip can’t recruit, that’s been stated in many places, many times. I’m not 100% convinced that he can coach, just look at what he’s done since leaving UO.

I’m with you on this… and I hope it happens. Wilcox would do very well at Oregon, and the PAC12 needs to have it’s “brands” functioning at a high level for the conference to regain some of its former status nationally. Right now, the teams that have established themselves as PAC12 leaders in the recent decade, are all at crossroads: USC, Oregon, Stanford, Washington.

Obviously tis begs the question: how close is Utah to being a national brand? We’ve had some great results in the last many years, including being in the mix for the CFP in '19, only to fall of and lose the momentum.

It seems to me that WHEN we beat tOSU in the Rose Bowl, and then hopefully play all of next year like we played the final 10 games of this season and end up in the CFP, we will have established our brand. I know I’m getting WAY ahead of myself here and it would still take some follow-on years of ending the season ranked in the top 10 minimum to cement that brand, but Utah has all of this within reach.

6 Likes

Little patience? They let Clay Helton (CLAY HELTON) coach for six years!

3 Likes

WUT?!?

2 Likes

Yeah, good question. Does he even have ties to the PNW? This would be a real out of left field hire IMO.

1 Like

It’s tradition. Oregon’s last 2 coaches left to take jobs in Florida, and they wanted to ensure they have another coach leave for that region.

1 Like

He’s a former Saban GA. Looking at his resume he has zero ties to anywhere west of Dallas.

1 Like

Odd hire for UO if true.

1 Like

U know the answer.

In the meantime, Sitake has earned a paycheck. Thank you Oregon.

Oregon coach…Phil Knight has been in and out of Bend, my local hometown for a few days now. Holding court I am told. He has a place up near a local somewhat famous landmark, Smith Rock. A premier climbing destination. His place is at the Crooked River Ranch or some huge chuck of Central Oregon real estate near it. But get the river that runs through it, the Crooked River. Let that place name sink in.

1 Like

Unprecedented down there may just mean his tithing was cut to 9% :wink:

3 Likes

It’s almost official. OU will hire Lanning.

1 Like