Oregonian Utah at Oregon State Preview

https://archive.ph/hdCQ2

The write up sounds fair about the game and our Utes.

As of today, Iā€™d expect the Beavers to win. Their defense is good, and as of today their offense is better than ours. Until proven otherwise I donā€™t think our offense is better than their defense.

Perhaps Iā€™m being pessimistic. Iā€™d like to think so, but I donā€™t think Iā€™m wrong or at least not too far off.

3 Likes

Link wouldnā€™t work for me, but I was thinking itā€™d be nice to get a preview. I tried to watch some of the OSU/WSU game and a few takeaways:

• DJ Uglylululemon seems like the QB that left Clemson after losing his starting job (not like Bo Nix resurrecting himself leaving Auburn and going to Oregon). Heā€™s decent, but Ward (WSU) was way more impressive. DJ missed some throws he should have made and his WRs arenā€™t super special. Heā€™s a little mobile so we need to be careful because that has been our achilles heel in the past, but I think Morgan will be able to contain him and the run.
  • Martinez (RB) is good - almost 1000 yards last year as a freshman. The line is ok though, so he will be featured and make us jealous of a healthy RB1. But we are stout on the run defense and will make DJ beat us.
  • They seem like a Utah style light with a step below in talent. They try to stay balanced on pass/rush - hopefully we can make them 1-dimensional and I donā€™t think DJ beats us.
  • Their defense is decent. We will need to bring our best 2nd stringer effort to score. We should aim to get 100-150 yards rushing and use some play action. Long drives that end in a score will be enough.
  • This is an away game and we usually come out slowly, so we need to get an early turnover or successful drive on offense to get the confidence up.

Seems like Coach Smith is trying to build the program similar to how Utah has built it and I respect that. Itā€™ll be a battle and likely a close game coming down to turnovers and fundamentals (completed check-downs, blocking, tackling, etc.). Looking forward to it on Friday night.

2 Likes

One reason Clemson became disenchanted with 5 star recruit Uiagalelei was his inconsistent passing accuracy, regularly missing receivers that were relatively open. I noticed that same thing occurring against Washington State, hopefully it continues for one more game.

3 Likes

I went to a game at Reser Stadium a few years ago, I think it was Smithā€™s first year there. Beautiful area, nice stadium, which was updated/expanded since I was there. Around me were a lot of generationā€™s-old fans who were (at that time) not expecting much and having a reasonably good time anyway. They were a nice group to visit with and had nothing but great things to say about Utah. They were clearly envious.

Smith has improved the team to the point that I was very surprised they lost to WSU last weekend.

I really wish I had the opportunity to go to this game, particularly since it may be our last one there in the foreseeable future. It will be a tough one for Utah, with all our injuries, and even if we get several key players back, they will not be in 5th game of the season form.

Iā€™m still assuming we find a way to win, perhaps with no more style points than the UCLA game. But we win, period.

Go UTES!

5 Likes

Interrstingly, E$PNā€™s power rankings have Utah 24th and Oregon state 22nd. Whatever numbers E$PN crunched probably donā€™t like our weakened offense and our multiple injuries.

Well, he wonā€™t be hitting any receivers even if theyā€™re open if heā€™s sitting on the ground after being sacked by Utahā€™s elite defensive line.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s well and good, but Iā€™m in the ESPN hate camp. I agree with Wazuā€™s coaches remarks about Corso last week. I think they have treated Utah like a red-headed stepchild forever. I love watching the Utes play but sometimes consider turning off the vollume. Those guys talk to much.

5 Likes

Same here. I absolutely hate what theyā€™ve done to college football. I intended my comment to be a knock on their power ratings, which as far as Utah and Oregon State are concerned show no recognition for either programā€™s achievements, and fly in the face of most serious observersā€™ opinions. Itā€™s almost as if Paul Finebaum is in charge.

5 Likes

Agree, although 22/24 does seem more realistic than Utah at 5 in Masseyā€™s ratingsā€¦ def a top 10 (5?) Defense (even at current state) but an Offense Iā€™d say in the 75-100 range now. If we could get qbs and rbs healthy, maybe we get top 40 (25?) and our AP/Coaches ranking would be more justified.

2 Likes

We can hope. I certainly hope so.

1 Like

Paul Finebaum is welcome to go knock himself up. Along with Dennis Dodd. BTW, who gave these guys ā€œpower,ā€ why do their opinions matter so much? Are they just so much click bait? The last question is probably the most accurate, IMO.

4 Likes

I agree, almost all the football announcers talk waaay to much, there is no flow, itā€™s nonstop incessant blabbering, like the TV viewer canā€™t see the receiver caught the ball, or the back is running down the field, or the field goal went thru the uprights. The majority of them donā€™t have some profound and privileged perspective, this ainā€™t rocket science.

I read somewhere where a broadcast option was once tested where you could hear the crowd/stadium noise, and no announcers. Iā€™d be for that.

3 Likes

We didnā€™t get to see the 1st half of the UCLA game. We did listen to Riley on the ESPN 700 app. I did enjoy his commentary, but he has to paint the game for the listener, unlike the blithering idiots (mostly) on TV. If the talking heads on TV could paint a picture, perhaps theyā€™d be better liked, until then give me more crowd noise and reactions.

1 Like

I like the CFP where there are different views (some without commentators) including locals making the call. Gives some options although the commentators are usually some of the best. For some of these ā€˜lesserā€™ games, sometimes their ok at best, annoying at worst and would be nice to hear the crowd or something different.

My dad was a sports radio announcer back in the day. I spent a lot of time as a child in the booth. Much less chatter. Yeah, itā€™s not nuclear physics. The outcome of the game will be determined at the end of the game. People talk about Ohio state like theyā€™re a Panzer battalion.
Stop!

2 Likes

Roll call.
Which of you is traveling to Corvallis this week?

1 Like

Iā€™ll be there with one of my sons & my brother.

3 Likes

Itā€™s no secret the Beavs like to run the ball, and have 2 really good RBs, Martinez and Fenwick.

I wonder if weā€™ll see some of the 5 DL formation, with a DE in the middle? If they get a run game established, I think we will, and Bishop & Vaki will need to take away the TE game.

Tao Johnson at FS may be a fixture, their WRs can really run, esp Bolden.

1 Like

Our hope is to shut down the run, make them one-dimensional, and, then, sack Clemson boy over and over again.

4 Likes