One of the biggest names in college hoops retired

Only coach to have 400+ wins at 2 schools. Pretty impressive.

Another big name is calling it quits, too - Lon Kruger.

After Big Rick left, I know we wanted Kruger to come to SLC, but he wasn’t dumb enough to try and follow that act.

2 Likes

I’ll bet Sancho is pleased with this contract for Hubert Davis at UNC…

Details Emerge From Hubert Davis’ Contract At North Carolina (msn.com)

[

Just last week, Hubert Davis finalized a deal to become the new head coach of the North Carolina men’s basketball program. The Tar Heels alum and long-time assistant takes over for the recently retired Roy Williams and will lead the school into a new era.

© Provided by The Spun Hubert Davis smiles during a UNC practice at the Final Four.

On Monday, more details emerged from Davis’s incentive-laden contract with UNC.

the new Tar Heels head coach inked a five-year deal with a base salary of $400,000 annually. However, he will be eligible for up to $1,075,000 in bonuses each year, including an additional $250,000 for winning an NCAA championship.

When all is said in done, the total value of Davis’s contract will be $1 million in the first year and is expected to increase by $100,000 each year of his deal.

I like this. With lowered attendance and other changes coming, I hope this helps re-normalize the approach to coach compensation. I like the base + incentives approach because it pays for results (without making it a Ricky Williams incentive only type deal). It’s fair to the coach, it rewards success, it’s reasonable for donors and the school. Just makes sense.

1 Like

Wow, #2 on the GOAT list after Wooden.

With all the coaches out in the Coach K tree, it seems weird that Scheyer would be the top candidate. I guess we’ll see what happens. This past season was awful; I hope he goes out on a high note.