Oh my heck! This beer pokes fun at how Utah swears

This is pretty funny (we have to be able to laugh at ourselves a bit), but more surprising than anything. When I first read the title, I assumed it was a local micro-brewery behind the joke, but this is a national firm. Apparently, some of our quirky local culture is becoming more widely known.

(EDIT: this article is really not about me, I don’t swear often, but when I do, I go for the real thing. :wink:)

Anyone watch the Battlestar Galactica reboot that came out perhaps 15-20 years ago on syfy?

They replaced a particular word with something like “frack” (possibly frick) and throughout each episode you would hear lots of frack, fracking, fracker, and even mother fracker.

2 Likes

Yeah, the ‘space lingo’ was an interesting choice.

Holy forking shirt balls!!! Are these people trying to say we live in the Good Place?

1 Like

Check out Johnny Dangerously for some solid fake swear words.

2 Likes

Corksucker.

2 Likes

You farging icehole!!!

2 Likes

You no good son of a benches!!!

1 Like

When we were young, for SOB plural, my friend’s mother would say, “sunny beaches”. For most everything else, she’d say, …so-and-so…, or, …you-know-what…, and of course we always did.

1 Like

So your mom was always wanting to go to California? :wink:

After moving to Utah, the one that intrigued me, that I had never heard before, was fetch. Still find it funny.

Good Will Hunting is just not the same with the cus words switched out

1 Like

At my first job out of college, the trainer at a company introduction session used the term fetchin’. (If I recall correctly, I actually laughed out loud.) He was a nice guy, returned missionary, and we became pretty good friends while I was working there. He used the word fetch, which to him was a directly replacement for the F-Bomb, and he used several replacement modes, fetch, fetched up, fectchin’, and probably others I’ve forgotten. I never commented on his use of the term to him.

1 Like

However, The Big Lebowski is hilarious with the swears switched out.

Walter, smashing some guys new Corvette: “Do you see what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps?”

1 Like

I guess I never fully understood how if one is substituting a word - but invoking the exact same image that the words supposed to represent.
Isn’t that exactly the same thing.
The other day, I heard someone say “Oh poop!”

2 Likes

Pretty much sums my view up. If you’re “saying it,” say it.

1 Like

I haven’t watched it (yet?) but there was this on Netflix: History of Swearing. I’ve read some articles on swear words - usually quite interesting in how they developed over time. Linguistically, interesting how some words become swearing/profanity and others don’t, even if they mean the same thing (usually crudely relating to some physical form or function). I took a linguistics course as an elective way back when and it was fascinating what words we use and how they are used. I also recently read an article on how to be more influential/persuasive at work and one of the suggestions was to swear occasionally to make a point and show passion.

1 Like

I agree, although society has given the actual words some power or additional impact. Changing the word, or using a substitute somehow lessens that power or impact. When LA Ute calls someone a warthog faced bufoon, it has less impact than if he said $#@* @%+ c=%*. But it is fun to imagine him saying the real thing :slight_smile:

I guess that is why I find it funny when the substitutions are used creatively. Another example is Arrested Development. The fact that they freely swear, but bleep them out when it is clear what is being always adds to the hilarity.

Fun fact; The creator of Battlestar Galactica is LDS (Glen A. Larson) Thus much of the reason for the Mormon swears. If you know much about Mormonism, you will see many parallels in the story line.

So, there must be some sort of reference to a white Martian salamander, then yes?

(sorry, recently watched Murder Among the Mormons and couldn’t help myself :slight_smile: )

2 Likes