Oh geeze, well done local news

Back when I was first in SLC as a U student, I lived in an apartment next to a young KTVX reporter. One day she wasn’t paying attention and drove her car into an open hole at some construction up near the U hospital. That became an angry “investigative report” on who was responsible and should pay to buy her a new rim. Also around this time one of their anchors did a five part series on menstrual cramps that she called, “The Curse.” KUTV and KSL were using helicopters a lot at the time. A buddy of mine had a joke that KTVX was going to compete by buying a submarine to cover the Great Salt Lake in depth. I think KTVX’s ratings were less than those at KSTU, and that was when KSTU was still on UHF channel 20 and a lot of people didn’t even know they had a news program.

Yeah, they’ve always been bringing up the rear here.

3 Likes

Did you watch the John Oliver segment on the Sinclair TV stations? He shows clips of all the sinclair stations with the news anchors repeating the same lines. Clearly the line was written by corporate at Sinclair and all the anchors had to say it. Ch 2’s own Mark Kubel (?) was one of the anchors saying the line. Yeah, Sinclair is fox news disguised as local news.

3 Likes

We have the same thing here in Seattle:

Turmoil inside KOMO News as conservative owner Sinclair mandates talking points

1 Like

Yeah, KUTV & all Sinclair stations are garbage now.

I harken back to the days of Terry Wood (v1.0) & Patrick Greenlaw, the young guns, rumors of them having coke parties, etc. It was our version of Anchorman, but not funny.

2 Likes

I think KSL and the D-New do OK, given the context.

The classic take was the Trib had better investigational reporters and the D-News had better writers. I think that’s still mostly true.

Terry Wood was great and ironically he’s now the media spokesperson for the DABC.

2 Likes

I’m going to reluctantly agree with you - reluctantly, as this has been my paper since I started delivering it and reading it in the 60’s. There is still a lot of good reporting and some thoughtful opinion pieces, but there is far more (too much) fluff and/or click-bait type articles than there were previously. I suppose that is what happens when a newspaper changes it’s business model and focuses largely a web presence.

I have found it amusing that old Gordo, who literally never gets a click from me on any topic, has shifted so much of his attention from sports to religion. He was always in the business of stirring people up to get reader’s attention, and I suppose it’s just simpler to do with religion than sports.

1 Like

SWEET. Go Kraken.

1 Like

Has anybody here listened to the City Cast Salt Lake podcast for local news?

Eh, not really these days.

Most of the good writers for the Deseret News were transferred to KSL.com. Much of the D-News is now part time writers, and their focus is the church.

As someone who deals with media daily they all have their biases. And there are great reporters at 3 of the 4 TV stations. I honestly don’t know that I’d say there is a great reporter at the Trib.

The Trib, as a whole, has a agenda. They often will start with a story idea and find people to prove their idea rather than see where the evidence takes them.

1 Like

Great insight, and I agree about most of the DN writers being part time hacks who don’t even live in Utah.

:point_up_2:t3::point_up_2:t3::point_up_2:t3:This​:point_up_2:t3::point_up_2:t3::point_up_2:t3: Though the other channels are starting to follow suit. The absurd “canned” news aka commercials and the random national crap (a guy in Florida…) has made local news 1) not local 2) unwatchable.

Can’t believe I’m saying this but at least KSL gets the weather right :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Weather Forecaster. Biggest con on earth.

1 Like

Yeah, but let’s face it, getting the weather from the KSTU weather bunnies is more enjoyable.

2 Likes

What is this “local news” you speak of? Haven’t watched it since 2002.

1 Like

I watch Channel 2 all the time. I just tune out when the Sinclair stuff comes on. But for weather and local issues it’s not bad.

One of the folks on Channel 2 said that most of them hate the Sinclair stuff. And no, I didn’t ask them why they stayed.

3 Likes

No, but thanks for mentioning it… I’ll check it out - I’m always looking for something local and useful.

1 Like

Related, I have to tip my hat to this guy.

Came to SLC in 1980 (!), I didn’t pay much attention to him, just another smooth delivery guy. Met him about 20 years ago at a barbecue, was impressed - not an ego, a regular dude. Interested, engaging, cool…. Decent.

Then I saw him stocking shelves at the downtown Harmons, figured he was between gigs, but he was a helpful, friendly - the same guy I met.

Reading this story, there’s so much more to his journey, and what a standup human being for sharing and being supportive of others in a personal struggle nobody would want.

8 Likes

Oh wow. When I was a U student I used to see him at the Green Parrot… recognized him from the local news. I did not know all of this, glad to see he got help.