Morgan vs anyone else

I must say, so far, watching Morgan run the team has been a pleasure. Last night when a sideline reporter asked about the initial start, Morgan spoke intelligently about various success with overall schemes and “jitters” that would settle out. When the reporter asked if he had jitters he smiled with complete confidence and said no.
So used to seeing someone else scowling and yelling at players and coaches. So tired of hearing how his workout routine is supposed to be important. Morgan seemed calm throughout the game with that perma-smile in place. Even when there was a scuffle in the trenches, he was poised and had a wry, but placid continence about him. It appeared he knew exactly what was occurring and not trying to exert control over something that didn’t rise to head coach level of concern. This is essentially what the captain of a tall ship has to do. They can’t be in the crow’s nest, on the wheel or manning the cannons. They have to trust in every seaman’s role, while standing there on the deck, where everyone can see him, taking rounds. Morgan seems like a man comfortable in his own skin and a naturally humble, nice guy. A people person.
Now I am not an X’s & O’s fan, nor am I aware of the body politic of running a large team/small corporation, but it truly seems like Morgan has the confidence and maturity to trust his coaches and players (which in turn, means he trusts his own decisions as well). Whereas in the past, I tolerated the coaching ideology because of our success, it also seemed that our failures were repetitive and predictable: Usually leading to loss of yet another offensive coordinator or not developing a QB or back-up t full potential etc…
I wonder if we are not witnessing a sea change in culture for the better. We have probably seen more creative offensive plays in 2 games than perhaps full seasons. (Greybeards can rip away here). At any rate, I’m very happy for the decision to anoint Morgan with the HC job and look forward to the future of Utah sports with his leadership.


Captain Morgan !

10 Likes

There ya go!!

2 Likes

Should we make up a story about how he lost his hand?

Will Rocker organize a dress like a pirate game?

9 Likes

Tharrr ya go.

5 Likes

Yes ! He and “Big” Ernie McCracken were hustling some bowlers at a Midwest bowling alley…

4 Likes

For a man with few accomplishments in his life, I’m proud to number “Dress like a Cowboy Day” among them.

I can’t even remember his name, but there used to be a super fan guy here who used to shave his head in a U. I’ve run into him several times since, and he still won’t talk to me.

Point is, I’m happy to spearhead Dress Like A Pirate day. Yarr.

7 Likes

Wasn’t that JDart?

4 Likes

That’s right. He’s a good dude albeit quite passionate at the time, but I sent him with that one.

3 Likes

OK, somehow I missed this story. Did he actually do the cowboy :cowboy_hat_face: bit and then got mad when he found out?

Does it make me a bad person laughing thinking about this?

5 Likes

I heard several people fell for it.

2 Likes

This was now maybe two decades ago. So my recollection of what happened may be warped by time and self-aggrandizement. So take it for what it is worth.

This was during a period where the braintrust at the U thought it would be a great idea to have various themed days for the games (which I guess they do now with the stripe the stadium and blackout) etc. I can’t remember all the themes, but some were borderline ridiculous. So as a joke I photoshopped an actual U email to look like a ‘Dress Like A Cowboy Day’ notice had been sent out. I also conspired with one time poster here Scratch to post and confirm that he got the same email, and then I feigned outrage over it. Upon reflection, I guess I was doing AI deepfake stuff before AI deepfake stuff was cool.

Simultaneously, as an admin on the old UFN, I placed an ad at the top of the site, as if the U had actually sponsored it.

Like all the best/worst jokes many things happened as a result. Most people didn’t believe it, or were like, “Real or not, there is NO way I am dressing like a cowboy.” Lots of people were wondering about the cultural sensitivity and even the applicability of the Utes dressing like a cowboy. Of course the most faithful reluctantly agreed to do it and encouraged other people to be a team player and dress up.

Apparently it got spread far and wide. Enough so that the Athletic Department got inquiries about it (this may explain the current ticket office response time and general courtesy towards fans - they’re still dealing with the backlog). JDart had connections there I guess, or was one of those who made an inquiry about it to them, and came back guns ablazing enraged about the joke. I don’t remember the exact lecture I got, but something about if we ever wanted to be a P5 school, something, something, something.

The prank got properly exposed in plenty of time that the only people who were dressed like cowboys that day were people who always dress like cowboys… and @NewbombTurk .

And to be fair to JDart, I haven’t seen him now in a number years and he probably doesn’t even remember who I am. But for some time after the joke, he was rightfully not impressed with me and didn’t hide it. And by all accounts from people who know him, he is a great guy and the type who will give you the shirt off his back. So if I was ever in a situation of who I would want to be friends with - me or JDart, it would be JDart 100% of the time.

But that is my side of the story and I’m sticking with it.

10 Likes

Absolute Legend - I remember that like it was a couple of years ago. Laughs were had, cowboy corndogs were shared, tears were shed

5 Likes

I still have the chaps.

9 Likes

I could go for “Dress Like A Drunken Bavarian Yodeler Day,” if someone wanted to run with that. :wink:

8 Likes

Well why would you get rid of something you’ve had for decades?

8 Likes

Luckily now you wear other clothes with them.

10 Likes

Although these days it is hard to distinguish between where the skin ends and the chaps begin.

6 Likes

Best UFN moment in the history of amazing UFN moments.

6 Likes

Otherwise knows as “Tuesday” at the @Greginslc household. :wink:

7 Likes