Morgan Scalley no longer suspended

Well, the rules around that word are different for black people. I think that is part of the problem in general with the word. It’s commonly used in popular music and in banter between friends.

I hope we learn more about what Scalley did to Lacy. Did he attempt to use it in a friendly way, mimicking the banter he surely heard from players all the time? If so, that’s still very dumb of him, but more forgiveable in my eyes than if he used it as a slur in anger.

3 Likes

I thought Lacey’s comment was interesting. “He’s a great coach, but he needs to be a better man”. Definitely a mixed message.

In all the years of watching practice, I’ve never seen any racial stuff, but motivating players and building a P5 football team is more akin to Marine boot camp than it is anything else I can think of. These kids come from a wide variety of backgrounds, and they’re pushed really hard.

We fans sketch in who we think will be stars on paper, and it never turns out how we think, overall. The intensity and level of competition and sacrifice are not for everyone. (I wouldn’t have been able to push to that level.)

Ryan Lacey came in with a lot of talent and promise, and as far as I’m concerned, he grew into his potential, and should be proud of what he accomplished.

2 Likes

I was a part of the Utah football program from 2005 -2013. I never heard a coach use a racial slur. I did hear a coach call a player a F’N C***. That coach is no longer here, but I also know how many young men he truly helped and I would not want him to lose his job over that statement. Black players and some polys routinely use the N word when speaking to one another and speaking about one another. I can honestly say that I heard the word at least 10-15 times a day at practice and around the facility. I am sick to think that any of our players were ever subjected to hateful, racial slurs by anyone associated with the U, particularly a coach. I know Morgan and his wife and have great respect for them. It now appears that Morgan was responding in kind to a text from Shah. That might explain the context but it does not excuse it. I also know Ryan Lacy. He came from a very difficult life in Sacramento. His mother had mental and physical health problems and he also had a younger sister. He would scrimp and save from his scholarship money to send money home to them. I had him do some work for me cleaning my mother-in-laws place after she passed so that he could earn some extra cash. He was a quiet kid who, to my knowledge, never gave the coaches a bit of trouble. If he had, I would have heard about it because those who did not attend classes or created trouble were routinely discussed in meetings. I have reached out to Ryan and encouraged him to share his experiences with KW and Harlan. I don’t want Morgan to lose his job. I see difficult times as opportunities for creating the most meaningful change in people and in organizations. I hope this happens.

12 Likes

There has to be an enormous amount of pressure on both Harlan and Watkins. I don’t see a scenario where he stays. 80% of our players are African American. How would you feel if you were them?

It will be interesting to see how this impacts the football program. There are many players coming out on social media in support of Morgan. There are others who are using a supposed undercurrent of racism amongst all of the coaches as evidenced by Morgan’s text to explain why their careers at the U did not go the way they thought they should go. I don’t believe there was or is racism within Utah football, but it puts the U in a difficult position. The easy response is to fire Morgan and say that they have taken care of the “problem.” The harder response is to keep him, require that he attend training of some sort, require that he donate 10% of his income while at the U to the NAACP or some similar organization and use this event to promote change. I hope I am wrong, but I suspect they will take the easy route.

2 Likes

I love Scalley and he is truly a “Utah Man” through and through. He made a huge mistake that may cost him his job or a future head coaching job. I hope he is able to stay but understand if the administration feels otherwise. I will support the U of U on either decision they make. The school needs to be a place where all students feel welcome. Go Utes!

1 Like

Another great post.

Football is saturated with testosterone. The competition for “snaps” is brutal, the sacrifice required higher than 99% of the population would understand.

Egos, raw emotions, people pushed to extremes - basically, low intensity warfare, with sometimes serious injuries, but without guns and bombs and death, wrapped up in “we’re all in this together, from the head coach”.

There’s a bigger conversation to be had about why the language and put downs exist at all. I’m hoping for a constructive outcome. We’ll see.

Regardless of the situation/context, who comes to his defense or how long ago it was, I’d say there is absolutely zero chance he stays at Utah.

You make some good points, but do you really think given the current political climate he keeps his job? And also, how are all the African American players going to feel if he does? Will they follow him? I just don’t see it happening, as much as I’ve always liked Morgan.

I would like to think that forgiveness is a thing that exists. Whitt has given many players second chances. I find it hard to believe that he wouldn’t do just about anything to give morgan a second chance. It’s not going to be up to him but given the sorry state of the university leadership right now it would be beyond hypocritical to fire scalley for this.

My hope is that players (current and former), coaches, administrators, fans, and families of players come together and show the wold that true penitence along with true forgiveness is the best way to heal our fractured society.

1 Like

Utah fans on social media really need to stop defending Scalley with the “Oh c’mon, who doesn’t throw out the occasional racial slur?” defense.

It’s a really awful look, especially when it’s coming from a group of primarily white, middle-aged Utahns.

10 Likes

That’s my thoughts. Otherwise, most people would be “wandering in the wilderness” due to a past transgression that they truly regret and would never do again.

Yes. This is not good.

1 Like

Well put.

Forgiveness is not in vogue right now. There are a few unpardonable sins in this country, and Scalley committed one of them.

2 Likes

Yep and the U shouldn’t - and likely won’t - perpetuate that notion by letting this slide. I think action will be swift and decisive in order to send a message.

1 Like

Utah athletics, like everything, would be much better off if we could get people off social media.

3 Likes

I hate to throw out worst-case scenarios right now, but I’m going to be a little surprised if this stops at Scalley.

All it takes is one former player to say Whit knew/heard/condoned the behavior and this whole thing could go from bad to utterly disastrous for the program.

Already seeing some chatter to that effect. :frowning:

This terribly unhappy situation raises in my mind the problematic relationship between forgiveness and trust. There’s always room for forgiveness and reconciliation. Trust, however, is different. Once lost, it can be regained, if at all, only after a long time. I fear that would be Morgan’s mountain to climb, whether he stays or not. I feel for him.

I’ve heard people criticize the “cancel culture.“ The term means different things to different people, but the concept is that you make one mistake years ago, and you’re ruined for the rest of your life. But, but…Morgan’s in a profession where 80% of the people he works with—and who must trust him—are people of color. So they may forgive him, but will they ever trust him again? And can the University afford to have a coach in a senior position whom some players don’t trust?

We shall see what happens.

Which is why I advise elected officials to not use it as a communications platform for government business and information.

I am going to give this a week to see what information and responses unfold. It’s too damned early to be jumping to conclusions. Let time clear up the picture. In this case time doesn’t mean ignore.

1 Like