Morgan Scalley no longer suspended

Same. I hold the U pretty dear to my heart. I’m not convinced yet that he did this, but if he did then he has to be let go. Even if he were black I would say the same thing. Text, tweet, whatever. I am holding out hope that it isn’t true.

1 Like

FYI - there are several former players supporting him on twitter, Julian Blackman, Andy Phillips, Terrell Burgess, Nate Ritchie, Kyhris Tonga etc.

Everyone does not. You’ve clearly not met my sister-in-law’s ex and his redneck buddies from Parkin, Arkansas. They’re not unique either in that part of the country.

1 Like

Just saw Lacy’s comment. Scalley is done at the U, I’m afraid.

What an awful day this has been for Utah.

2 Likes

Hearing Dom Hatfield spike out against Scalley as well, but I can’t find it anywhere. Maybe someone with better Google-fu will have more luck.

How could Scalley not know back then that using that word was not acceptable? In 2006, Michael Richards (Kramer from Seinfeld) went down very publicly for using it. Michael Richards did not have a reputation for being a racist before then. I don’t think he’s ever recovered.

Now, Scalley has been accused of using it in 2008 and has admitted to using it in 2013. For the reputation of the university and the athletic department, he needs to be fired. His actions affect everyone affiliated with the school.

Think about other universities that have had scandals. When we see someone wearing a shirt from there, what’s your first impression? That’s where we are.

2 Likes

I think you’re right - this is probably the best chance at limiting damage.

Came here to say this- looks like Scalley used it with Lacy in 2008. Lacy confronts him in 2013 and gets an (in his view) half apology. Also in 2013, Scalley texts that he got a 4 star N-word. It’s too much of a stretch to think that these were the only two times he slipped and used the word.

When was the last time any of you used it? Scalley has to know better. I just don’t see how he could ever think it’s OK. And that’s distressing.
The reason it came up now is because his statement about George Floyd rubbed someone the wrong way. They thought he was being a hypocrite. I have no doubt that Scalley was sincere about what he felt about all this awfulness, but his past racist behavior (what else would you call it?) got called out because of it.

1 Like

Perhaps he can say “I don’t know where it comes from, but I want to make it go away.”

1 Like

I like that, but if anything else comes to light, I think it’s over

Also, there are a lot of racist Ute fans. Holy crap! It’s embarrassing to look at our social media right now.

6 Likes

People define the word racist in different ways. For me, I would need to know more before believing the word applies to Scalley. If he used the forbidden word In banter as a reply to someone who used it, I don’t think I can see that as much more than a mistake. Hopefully, this will become more clear with time.

The problem is that during the pandemic a whole cottage industry has grown up around searching the net for anything that can be cast in a negative light and then get blown up to generate clicks. I think this is just the beginning.

Well I’d like to know more about Lacey’s comment, but it seems even he isn’t calling for Scalley to be fired. Sean Smith has been dissing Utah since they wouldn’t offer a family member, and his subsequent comments seem to indicate he was just jumping on the bandwagon.

That was the most disheartening thing for me to watch last night.

1 Like

This sure makes me long for the days when the biggest strike on Scalley was he said, “I hate those pricks.” What’s really troubling is not just his sending the text in the first place, but that it was intended to go to other coaches. That indicates a systemic issue, at least within the staff’s structure at the time. It could be even worse than that. I fear this could to set the program back ten years depending on who all knew this behavior was apparently acceptable in its leadership group.

1 Like

Maybe. I think it’s a bit of a leap to say that at this point though.

The story on Twitter this morning:

Not sure that helps say it isn’t systemic. I hope not, but the investigation could lead to that and that will result in way bigger consequences.

FWIW, I’ve been had random pairing up with Shah on the golf course twice over the last few years and I found him to be a really nice guy. He’s leaps and bounds better at the game than me, probably something to do with being a real athlete, but never seemed annoyed by having to put up with me and was very gracious and seemed sincerely appreciative when I told him we were season ticket holders.

Yeah, we all love Shah. I don’t think anyone is trying to say that he did anything wrong.

If the tweet you provided is true, then yes he did.