Match Up: the Utes go on a Husky hunt -- Washington game 2019

What are our inherent advantages? Where is our Achilles heel for Washington?
How do we sceme for Shelly (if needed)
Does the D need to adjust, or do we have a human tsunami (powerful and porous) well in place?

Hope we remain hungry all week
Go UTES!

I’m just hoping that the fact that Chris Peterson seems to have our number doesn’t factor in. Then again Leach also seemed like he’s had our number lately, and we saw how that went.

2 Likes

This might be the year to break some previously established paradigms.

2 Likes

Here’s a thread, for those who want to join, for discussion about the biggest game of the season so far. Kragthorpe’s thoughts:

I don’t know what to think about this game. I haven’t seen Washington play, although they have been less consistent than Utah. I think we have reason to be confident, although not cocky — especially if the Utes show up with the eye of the tiger they have had in their last three games.

We lost the CCG 10-3 last year without our starting QB and RB and on a fluke INT. Washington isn’t as good this year and we are better. I like our chances.

7 Likes

This is not the same UW team of the last few years, but they are still talented and they always play their best football at Husky Stadium.

That being said, if Utah comes anywhere near their overall performances of their last 4 games, I’m confident this should be a “W”.

2 Likes

I merged this good Washington game thread with another one I had started. I hope it’s a good example of how we can have a single thread talking about a game, prior, during and after it’s over.

I was doing so well with low expectations for this game. Now Rocker has gone and ruined that.

I to think this year’s team is special. One thing I want to mention is the constant pressure we put on opposing QBs. As John Pease likes to say, pressure is more important than sacks. When I watch recordings of games it seems to me that the other team’s QB is almost always uncomfortable in the pocket. That, on top of our run defense, is one element that makes our D a huge problem for our opponents.

Speaking of D line pressure on the QB, I will never forget the sight of Leki Fotu sprinting in a straight line toward the Cal QB, who was desperately trying to outrun Leki. It was like a hungry lion racing to make a kill on a terrified, defenseless young gazelle.

5 Likes

Great points!

The D overall has been lights out however the USC game is a glaring reminder of things not going according to plan. I think the thing that bothers me the most about the USC game was the apparent stubbornness of Scalley to adjust the D and drop 8. He did that at some points but BYU did it most of the game. The outcome may have been the same but it seemed that Scalley learned his lesson vs WSU.

Special teams is a big weakness with this team. Hopefully it doesn’t come down to a long field goal to win it, same thing with punting.

GO UTES!

3 Likes

“I am the one who knocks!”

2 Likes

Nicely done Rocker. Two additional comments about the D and more than a few about the O.

On defense, I believe Shah and Scalley have changed how Jaylon Johnson is used. He is man to man on the best receiver now. Also, Utah’s D line and linebackers are doing a much better job this year of containing the edges. Overall we know the D line, and secondary are just better players, well coached and assignment sound.

On offense, that last sentence can be applied. Ludwig has done a better job than past OCs in tailoring the game plan toward the talent Utah has. That one aspect is key, IMHO. This year the OL does a much, much better job of protecting the QB, while on occasion still, they lapse. The QB and WR/TEs are used with remarkable effectiveness, a pleasant surprise. Huntley has much greater vision of the developing plays and makes remarkably fewer mistakes. That’s alot. Utah’s RB are a punishing lot, with Moss being a rare player in his own right. Also, the depth is remarkable, keeping guys fresh, and figuring out how to keep the number of plays to a minimum. The efficiency and conditioning of the players (on both sides of the ball, actually) has kept injuries to a minimum. Few other teams enjoy that at this point.

6 Likes

I’m just glad Gaskin is gone.

3 Likes