Local SLC media

I worked in foodservice, plenty of higher end restaurants in front and back of the house. Rumors were that he had his quirks. Not saying they were bad, or good, just that he had them. Working in restaurants you see much, and say little, especially at the time. I didn’t care then, and don’t care much more now about what Mr. Norse did on his time.

I do say that he was an institution in Utah media. It feels odd that he is no longer an institution. I found him to be better than most news people. He seemed genuine. Having met more than a few celebrities, being genuine is a good thing.

3 Likes

This another reason why we’ll have to resort to other sources for Ute news.

1 Like

It’s hard to have a newsletter when you fired the beat reporter.

4 Likes

Well, that’s something. Probably got replaced by more Church/Religion news. :man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming:

Huntsman and their board are idiots of the premier order. The reason why subscriptions have kept going down is because they gave up on covering local relevant news. My guess is they won’t be back for football season.

Oh well.

1 Like

Huntsman doesn’t have much sway anymore from what I’ve learned.

The non-profit model has made the board the deciders

I don’t know about that. Go ahead and try to find this story on the D-News or KSL websites.

3 Likes

KSL has covered Bateman for months.

The best crime reporter in Utah, Pat Reavy, works for KSL.

(The DNews no longer does news. They’ve moved all those employees to KSL.com and just use their stories)

2 Likes

Yes, they have, but not the indictment story. That was the point. The indictment details show just how sick this ******* and his gullible, equally perverted followers are.

1 Like

No surprise there. I’m just hunting for Utah sports news, and I find it, of all places, on ksl.com and the Deseret News. Who would’ve thought? I’m used to Utah being the third most important sports subject there, after BYU and maybe someone else. Weird. Now, with Josh Newman, who was a real pro, gone from the Trib, those are the choices we seem to have.

2 Likes

Nothing like human trafficking, pedophilia, and incest being packaged as a religious belief.

Just because the Trib wrote a story about the arrests, using backstory information anyone could get from a little research but nothing regarding the actual charges each of the 11 defendants face, is sort of a nothingburger.

4 Likes

Pat will likely cover it soon, he’s far better at digging and getting deeper content than the tribune is.

The Trib often runs a Fox13 story, or just reprints the court documents. Pat actually seeks clarification and more detail.

1 Like

I’m a bit shocked at this:

https://twitter.com/sltribsports/status/1671488533268185090?t=Zr9wnW1JAmpXR9mwNJXGdg&s=19

I don’t listen to much sports talk radio, but when I do, i only listen to ESPN 700, particularly Bill Riley. I listen to him as he is very knowledgeable about Ute sports, and spends most of his time on them

I was sorry when Checketts returned to the station, as I don’t much care about the Jazz or the NBA and Checketts cares about little else.

1 Like

I’ll add, that I would listen to David James, as I think he is very good at what he does. However, he’s had that albatross around his neck for more than twenty years now. I don’t even know who else is in the market, is there anyone else out there that I’m missing? Last I heard, Gordon Monson had been forcibly retired from sports radio (about 25 years too late), which may have opened up a spot for someone good.

2 Likes

I finally saw your post after well over a year. I agree completely about Checketts. If I’m out driving in the afternoon I might check his show, but there’s so much Jazz talk that I always find myself changing the channel. I guess there are enough Jazz fans listening to keep his ratings where they need to be.

I do find myself reading articles about the Utes in the Deseret News sports section when they pop up on Facebook. They at least seem to be trying to cover Utah. I never read about BYU there. It’s too hard to take.

2 Likes

Both DN and KSL/Sports actually do a pretty good job covering the Utes.

1 Like