Just really great movies

I did not realize that. Live and learn. I guess I just sort of thought from the general tone of “A Funny Thing…” and the cast, particularly Zero Mostel, that it was a Brooks’ Film.

“Everybody ought to have a maid…”

2 Likes

I always love Young Frankenstein the most.
610d17e3-0891-45e1-a344-ceef83ecd7a5_text

2 Likes

My entire family (adults) watched “Planes, Trains and Automobiles.” Hilarious, especially for people who have traveled a lot. Reminded me that John Candy was a really fine comedic actor. (And that Steve Martin is too. The car rental scene still cracks me up–because I’ve been there.)

3 Likes

Igor doing his best Groucho Marks impression, “Soytanly, you take the blond, I’ll take the one in the toybin”.

3 Likes

Leo Bloom: Let’s assume, just for the moment, that you are a dishonest man.

Max Bialystock: Assume away.

Leo Bloom: It’s very easy. You raise more money than you need.

Max Bialystock: What do you mean?

Leo Bloom: Well, you did it yourself, only you did it on a very small scale.

Max Bialystock: What did I do?

Leo Bloom: You raised $2,000 more than you needed to produce your last play.

Max Bialystock: So? What did it get me? I’m wearing a CARDBOARD BELT!

Leo Bloom: Well, that’s where you made your mistake: you didn’t go all the way. You see, if you were a truly bold criminal, you could’ve raised a million.

Max Bialystock: But the play cost me only $60,000 to produce!

Leo Bloom: And how long did it run?

Max Bialystock: One night.

Leo Bloom: You see? You see what I’m trying to tell you? You could’ve raised a million dollars, put on your $60,000 flop, and kept the rest.

Max Bialystock: But what if the play was a hit?

Leo Bloom: Well, then you’d go to jail. See, once the play’s a hit, you have to pay off all the backers, and with so many backers, there could never be enough profits to go around. Get it?

5 Likes

Some interesting background to Casablanca. I didn’t know that almost the entire cast were refugees from Nazism.

5 Likes