Just a few thoughts post game…

I’m not complaining, SDUF, just lamenting that I didn’t manage to see more than one person I know–poking fun at myself.

Hey! Wait a minute! I was on my best behavior! Admittedly that’s still pretty bad, but I tried. :wink:

Really, it was great to see so many of our gang. Wish I had seen everyone!

2 Likes

i didnt meet anyone from the board. . But i drove over from PHX in the morning. Watched the game and left to go back home.

Last time at USC i walked to the stadium talking to LA UTes wife about the soccer stadium.

I did catch up with my brother and walked into the stadium with him but we sat on opposite sides of the north end.

I did see Jdart s tailgate in walking around but didnt go by and say anything. i am sure he is ok with that.

I sat in the Ohio State area and listened to a guy yell “lets go Bucs” every play. But they told me i was annoying him when i would yell “thats another Utah first down” ( only when they got a first down)

5 Likes

Probably TDS fans in drag.

3 Likes

I have the game recorded on my DVR.

I’m trying to decide whether or not to watch it, knowing the outcome.

1 Like

Did the Rose Bowl not display a number to text to report unruly fan behavior? No one should have to put up with that.

FTFO!

Virtually all the fans on both sides represented their schools in a proud honorable manner. Unfortunately you will almost always will have some fools in any fanbase, including our own.

1 Like

This is pretty impressive.

7 Likes

And here I thought the book would be “How to Make Playing College Football a Career”

You know he’s Schlepping end of life legal services now, right? Soon he will be selling life alert and Medicaid supplemental insurance. If he gets invited to an NFL camp, they will be calling him “Old Man River.”

Ok, jokes aside, he had a great run here. I don’t know if playing on Sunday is in his future, but my guess is he is going to show up somewhere as a coach, though my guess is his coaching strategy classes probably went a lot like Covey family friend Danny Ainge’s…

Teacher - “You have the ball there is 30 seconds left in the game, and you have all your timeouts. You can choose to throw a pass to X down the middle for 15 yards, or you can run the ball. Which do you choose?”

Covey - “I’m running it!!!”

Teacher - “No, you’re throwing the pass to the open receiver so you can get the yards and the coach can call a timeout to draw up the next play.”

Covey - “Forget timeouts!!! We don’t need them! I will find the hole, make a couple of guys miss me, and will still be running when we come back to talk about this again next week.” (Oh, and the classroom erupts in laughter)

For Ainge, it was take an outside shot or feed the ball down low for a contested layup. :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

if I’m college football/ESPN I have to be concerned about these numbers:

In 2014 the college playoff games were bringing in views of 28+ million. That’s nearly twice as much as it is today.

1 Like

People are getting tired of the same teams all the time. Need to go to a 12 team playoff.

8 Likes

Were these games exclusively on ESPN in 2014? Maybe it is because I am old and don’t follow these games as closely as some others, but I recall them being on national TV (ABC / CBS / FOX). I wonder how much having them on a subscription channel affects the ratings. Also, I know of several friends who don’t pay for ESPN but watch the games through other (shady?) streaming sites, so I wonder if those illegal streams are factored into the numbers.

2 Likes

I do think having the games on ABC gets more viewers. I also think having these games on New Years Eve hurts viewership. The 2014-2015 games between Oregon vs. Florida St and Ohio St. vs. Alabama both were on ESPN and both had 28+ million viewers

2 Likes

I know most games have been on ESPN for a while, but can’t remember when it switched. But that’s a good point - lots of people dropping cable packages that have it.

1 Like

Seems like Kyle had a similar mindset, just glad to be there. Like the first Pac12 game at USC. He wasn’t there to win. How can a defensive minded HC can’t scheme better to win the biggest game in the programs history? Sure it was a good game but imagine if the WRs that opted out had played?

The offense should hold their head high, but the defense and their coaches should be ashamed they let OSU set I don’t know 5 Rose Bowl records? I felt like we were watching a Defense from the Fassel days and Cam was Mitchell trying to score 50 points to win.

After all is said and done it was a fun game and the players played their hearts out but Kyle once again let me down. Part of me wishes this could be his high point to bow out and hand over the reigns to Morgan. I’m sure I’ll get flamed for that but I’m just over Kyle regardless of the turnaround this year.

His local recruiting is embarrassing, he rarely offers local kids and prefers to get SoCal softies and loses top instate recruits to Kalani in spite of their lack of a conference. How was Cam the back up going into the season?

Win or lose I’m a Ute and am grateful for what Kyle has done just think he’s run his course. Go Utes!

That’s certainly…a take.

11 Likes

This board needs a thumbs down icon like the old one had.

FTFO!

13 Likes

Agreed, nothing quite like a total troll post to create a reminder.

With everything that happened to this team over this last season, the fact the team didn’t just pack their bags and phone in the season was a minor miracle unto itself. The fact they won the conference championship is another miracle, too. We are definitely not used to track meet football, but the fact they went toe to toe with tOSU the way they did was amazing. @DeezUtes can have his opinions, but the facts tell a completely different story.

So we didn’t end the season with a win. It doesn’t mean we didn’t win, it means we didn’t win the last game. The coaches and players…nothing but praise for them.

GO UTES!!!
ON TO NEXT SEASON!!!

12 Likes

5 Likes