Jeff Judkins back at Utah

A friend just sent me this tweet. Apparently, Jeff Judkins has joined the WBB staff.

https://twitter.com/sportsiren/status/1699117316435304737

So happy about this. I knew Juddy well enough that he invited me to play in summer pickup games. He is one of the really good guys and will be a huge asset.

3 Likes

I was just going to post this myself. I’m pretty surprised by this, but I think it’s great. He’s back where he belongs. There was a time when I had hoped he would rejoin the men’s program. He did some great things on Majerus’ staff in the ‘90s. I don’t think it’s much of a secret that he grew tired of Majerus’ demanding and difficult nature.

2 Likes

Jeff truly belongs at Utah.

1 Like

Even though he coached the women’s team at school down south, it was hard for me to ever root against Judkins.

One time the Ute’s were playing at home against Nevada (at that time known as University of Nevada-Reno). On the Ute’s first possession the ball was passed to Judkins out on the wing, he drained what these days would be a three pointer. Next Utah possession, the defense again elected to let Judkins have the same shot, with the same results, I’m thinking, this is going to be cool. Third possession, the Wolfpack extended their defense out to Judkins.

The Ute’s were WAC conference champions in 1977 with a team that the L.A. Times described as, B- talent with Phi Beta Kappa brains.

My 12 year old son and I were sitting in the first row for a Ute basketball game at UC Irvine. My son happened to cobble together red clothing and topped it with a red Utah hat. Coach Judkins walked over to him and mentioned that he was looking good.

Judkins proposed to his his future wife on the basketball floor of an empty but illuminated Spacial Events Center.

4 Likes

Welcome home, Juddy. So excited to have you back!!!

(One of my all time favorite players on one of the very best teams!)

4 Likes