Is Utah the best team in the Pac-12?

Through 10 games:

• Stefanovic= Pts Ave 10.9; FG% .353; 3pt FG% .333, FT% .885; Rebounds Ave 6.0; Ave Min 34.8
  • Bajema= Pts Ave 9.9; FG% .431; 3pt FG% .364, FT% .840; Rebounds Ave 3.0; Ave Min 25.7

https://static.utahutes.com/custompages/stats/mbb/2023-24/teamcume.htm

1 Like

Lol. Bobby Hurley’s team has 13 points at halftime.

2 Likes

Basically a wash. Plus Bajema’s team is much better than Stefanovic’s team right now. This UTAH team is legit. I think they have a chance to challenge for the league championship this year. Especially with the addition of Deivon Smith. Utah is legit 9 players deep right now. If they get back Wilguens Exact, they are ten deep. Teams struggle big time to match up with them. If Utah beats Wazzu and UW on the 29th and 31st, they will have gone the month of December undefeated. When is the last time Utah did that? Even their two losses are to pretty good teams. Houston is 11-0 and St. John’s is now 8-3 after their win over Xavier tonight. I think Utah might be just as good if not better than Arizona

6 Likes

Better than Arizona? It would take a lot for me to get there.

I like this Utah squad, and nothing would be sweeter than winning the conference in our last season here. Mostly, I just want to make the NCAA tournament. Let’s just get there and get this monkey off our backs. It’s been a few years since I had this much hope placed in one of our basketball teams.

10 Likes

Yes, I think that they can challenge Arizona for conference supremacy. If there was a year for Utah to challenge them, it would be this year because of the huge amount of seniors Utah has. I mean, this team really has no weaknesses. They have guard play. Shooting. Defense. Rebounding. Post play. Depth. Everything. I watched Arizona the other night against Alabama. They’re not the best half court team and they seemed to rely a lot on transition/fast break points. I think Utah can score on them.

3 Likes

Arizona goes down to Florida Atlantic in double OT in Vegas. How did a team like Florida Atlantic get so good? I would love for Utah to finally beat UA away from home.

1 Like

FAU puts the ball in the hole

1 Like

If they can find a way to do that they’re going to get a top seed in the NCAA tournament. They can do it if they keep playing defensively as well as they have lately. Because they’re definitely good enough offensively to match Arizona this year

1 Like

Lazar could be a frustrating shooter to watch, but he was better on the boards.

Bajema is a more consistent shooter and does a lot better than expected on the break, he’ll take it to the cup ahead of everyone, no fear of getting swatted from behind.

Both are solid “glue” players.

1 Like

He really wasn’t here.

He averaged 3 boards a game.

I think his increase is likely more a function of the makeup of UCLA’s team and the way each team plays.

Bajema is averaging 3.0 boards a game, after averaging over 4 last year

1 Like

https://x.com/uclamaltese/status/1738392806522233181?s=61&t=VR15VUc86vWlBT-A6DpAcg

2 Likes

Not the greatest conspiracy theory I’ve ever read, but I guess it makes sense on some level.

What level that is who knows.

3 Likes

Nice catch, I remember Lazar pulling down some big rebounds.

We still need to see how it goes in league, but I’ll admit I was concerned when Lazar left. So far, Bajema has erased that concern, and he seems to be finding his role nicely.

It gets tougher now, though.

6 Likes